Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. MeanV2

MeanV2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    Still looking for what length of times everyone feeds this. I know several of you feed the High Pro

Dan

2. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    If I have a group show birds, they stay on the game bird. I like to show the 1st year birds, most of ours are on in far over a year after the 1st year they never really have that young bird glow again thou Im sprucing up a couple now....some breeds its a little too rich for..as birds age, like people , they need good nutrition but chickens like people can get gout..so most of those eat shaffers layer pellets which have greens like alfalfa included in the pellet..if one is going through heavy molt I try to seperate and give game bird as a feather booster..

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  3. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

RattlesnakeRidgeWV Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Dan,
    I have tried a lot of different brands and % of Protein. I keep coming back to a Gamebird Chick starter at 22% protein for the first 8 weeks.
    I then switch to a grow and show which is 16% Pro with hardly no calcium, because that and too much protein can hurt them until they are 20 weeks old. After that I always feed Breeder Pellets with 18% protein and the calcium they need for egg laying, and that has worker for me. Of course table scraps. vitamins, ACV, DE, Boss, and scratch when they need it, or what ever else I dream up that is reportedly good for them and I give it a try.
    Kurt

4. MeanV2

Feb 15, 2013
    Thanks for your input Kurt! I respect it! What brand feed are you feeding? I am feeding Purina Gamebird Starter which is 30%. I know the Purina Game Bird Conditioner is 19%. They make a Game Bird Layena but I am not for sure what the protein % is on it.

Ok! Chet, Kurt, Lynne, and any other BA breeders when it comes to combs what will you breed and what is an automatic cull from you?

Have any of you weighed your 8 week olds? Just curious what weights you are seeing. I thought I might throw some of my Gilbert 20 on the scales this weekend.

Dan

5. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Dan,
    The brand is Blueseal out of Pa. I believe the Purina Layena is 15 or 16% Protein. As far as combs go I don't keep 7 or 8 points, only 4,5,and 6. Do not count the points on the back blade, they don't count, if you know what I am talking about. I don't bother with weighing till they are much older or around show time. I am more concerned with body type and shape. No pinched or high tails is number one when I am culling early. You have to be careful with culling cockerels too early, they take a while to really mature. I can't tell you how many birds i have given away or sold that turned out awesome and I wish I had kept them. That Urch hen I just lost to the raccoon was one of my best breeders and I am not happy.I hope this helped. I am going on vacation for a week so I won't be on the thread fo a while.
    Kurt

6. graybeard

graybeard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2013
    Tipton County, Tenn.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can someone tell me if this is a "lorp" or not.

7. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    It is very hard to tell, but the curve of the beak looks wrong and I think I see EE muffs on the neck. The legs may be the wrong color and the comb looks like a pea comb.

My guess is an Easter Egger or Olive Egger. It is going to be a great chicken though!

8. MeanV2

Feb 15, 2013
    Kurt, Thanks for the info! I will try to be patient with my cockerels. I have a bunch!! At 8 weeks I see a couple of tails I think is what you are talking about but overall they don't look too Bad!

Where ever you are going have a Good time & be Safe! If you are riding your Harley be doubly safe. I'll post a pic of mine and say Chet you are really not swapping a Harley for a Jeep are you? [​IMG]

Dan
    [​IMG]

9. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Off subject!! Enroute to the Jersey Shore where I grew up on this.[​IMG]

10. AParmer

AParmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    Beautiful ride! Be safe, enjoy for the rest of us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by