Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Dis Qualifier--it is a bad fault that will remove a bird from competition. There is a list of them in the Standard of Perfection in the American Poultry Association rules for all breeds and then different ones for each breed.

A lot of them show up right away but some do not show up until after molt.

1 person likes this.
  2. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

RattlesnakeRidgeWV Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Holypolish,
    your BA looks like a pullet to me at 15 weeks.

Ron,
    did you say you have two blues? The butt shot looks like a splash or real light blue, can't tell from the pics.
    kurt

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Yes, two blues. The pullet is very light colored.

I would love a splash! Maybe next time....

4. MeanV2

MeanV2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    Ron,
    I will definitely be culling before 1.5 years [​IMG] I will probably thin down at 5 to 6 months. Some things are just obvious and I highly doubt would change. I am pretty pleased with the way they are looking at only 6 weeks old, but anyone feel free to critique.

There are some that are obviously better than others.

Dan

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  5. huppfarm

huppfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome roo! Love the darkness and the lacing....................Excellent!

1 person likes this.
  6. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    Ok, I'll check tomorrow. I am certainly not a breeder, so if she's not purebred, its not that bad... just wanted to see if they were good layers and friendly!

7. huppfarm

Your birds are looking good there Ron! Love the Blue Male, you can ship him back, I don't have a problem with that![​IMG]
    I was amazed that the same breeding pen would produce 7 down to 4 spikes on the males comb when I use only 5 point to 4 point males and females. All that work and still nature rules!
    I have red banded 1/2 my 34 total hatch for culling with 7or more points and one male with greyish green eyes? all the breeding pens have dark brown to blackish eyes, where the heck did that come from?

8. huppfarm

They are 3rd generation Blue Australorp................I keep a pedigree on all my birds as normal routine. I have had several very light Blues in all my hatches and then I get some that molt and produce a darker plumage and lacing. Nature dictates and decides, not humans..............no matter how much we think we know.

9. huppfarm

Those birds look super happy in that nice green grass!

10. huppfarm

Disqualification is the term used in the "Standard of Perfection" referring to any trait or characteristic not accepted by the American Poultry Association that would not be of the specific breed being addressed. Every Breed has to fall under the guidelines of specified Colors of plumage, eyes, legs/feet, earlobes, types of combs, clean legged, feathered legged ect. ect.
    An example of D.Q. in Black Australorp would be yellow skin................not an Australorp breed trait. This would be a cross breed and not pure breed. Or a totally other breed such as Black Jersey Giants.

Hope that helped

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by