Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. starlingdaly

starlingdaly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    Congrats, cowboy!!
    I'm due for some babies next week too, to be shipped on Monday so I imagine I will be able to pick them up on Tuesday or Wednesday. :]

2. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    I am also getting my second and last of the year shipment next Tuesday. There is two months difference in age so mixing the flocks will be interesting.

3. huppfarm

huppfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy, Blackish green feet is not an Australorp breed trait.
    What color is the skin under the feathers...............should be white if its an Australorp. Any other color is another breed or its mixed.
    I had raised the most beautiful Blue Australorp pullet (I thought) until the legs started a greenish slate color, I then checked out the skin color and it was yellow.
    Too bad, she had the best lacing I had ever seen, but would not breed her, as those traits could pop up in future birds and that is not any" Quality " to have your name be associated with.
    Raise those babies up but don't breed to them if you plan on selling and calling them "Pure Breed Australorps."
    Sell them as friers or egg production or process them and you cant go wrong.

Good luck
    Chet

4. Cowboy44

Cowboy44 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2012
    South Central KY
    Thanks Starlingdaly! I can't wait this weekend is gonna go by so slow lol
    What all did you order?

5. Cowboy44

Cowboy44 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2012
    South Central KY
    Oh yeah I've been there...lost one earlier this year...sure hope you have good luck with yours!!
    What all are you ordering?

6. holypolish

holypolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Boy?? Help! I can't tell. Dean (Deanna?) I need to rehome if this is a he. [​IMG]15 weeks or so now. No crowing. Should there be crowing at this age?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]In the back.

[​IMG]On the left!

7. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    BA hens get combs like that when they get close to laying. I do not see hackle feathers but I might see saddle feathers.

The legs do not look huge. Overall my vote is a hen---Of course she could crow tomorrow.....

If it is a boy, they do make good eating too.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  8. ocap

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    the order from Cackle Hatchery was made before I found BYC. Black Australorp, White Jersey Giant, Buff Brahma, Buff Orpington, Silkie, and Old English Game Bantam

9. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    My first BAs are from Cackle!

You will love them--They don't look perfect, but the behave like BAs are supposed to and I love them!

10. ocap

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    I placed an order with Mr. Urch for BAs, Buckeye and silver penciled Wyandotte and got them before my Cackle order so I have fallen in love with BAs already, now I will be able to compare Urch and Cackle BAs for myself. bought a toe punch just to keep the flocks permanently "labeled"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by