1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    I tghink you would be surprised at just what your birds are harboring if you had a fecal check done. I run fecals once a month , as I have a very good microscope. Parasites, both internal and external , stunt a lot of birds. Fenbendazole is used on humans in third world countries too. We use the eggs with no problem, but I would not sell eggs for 30 days.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  2. starlingdaly

starlingdaly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    I sure if I saw thing things that my birds might have I would possibly vomit. *trying not to imagine*
    Maybe I will add fenbendazole once a year.
    I need to find a sustainable solution eventually though as I want my farm to be fully sustainable in a few years.

3. Cowboy44

Cowboy44 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2012
    South Central KY
    That ain't too far away lol
    I have a large coop myself but plan on building another one someday but until them I'm going to build a couple of chicken tractors so I can get a few other breeds :)
    But yeah I'll definitely look into that chicken university for sure! Thanks OCAP.
    Btw have you ever bought any from people around you?

4. Cowboy44

Oct 6, 2012
    South Central KY
    I have but I've just never fully committed to the idea, I've put if getting Black Australorps for a while now and really want to give them a whirl...but I plan on building a few chicken tractors and have seriously thought about getting a few to have and raise chicks to sell. But i'll read into them some more and may try to fet some of those in the near future. :) So how many EE's do you have?

5. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    I have been checking on breeds and BYC members that are near on the Missouri and Kansas threads and have not found any nearer than
    1 1/2 hours one way that have the breeds I wanted, I might try the state fair or another show sometime but right now I just need to give the chicks that I have time to grow before I get more or even know if I need anything else.

6. thedragonlady

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    Once a year won't do it. Parasites are experts at sustainability, as are cockroaches. Do you allow them in your kitchen and pantry ? Please try taking a fecal sample to your vet, and worming accordingly. Then worm again in 2 weeks if your birds are positive, to get the larvae that hatch. After that, get on a schedule. You will never eradicate all the parasites unless you move to clean ground with wormed birds. Even then the wild birds and earthworms (host for worms) will bring them in.

Once you get on a real worming schedule, you won't believe the difference in your birds. I've been at this for over 50 years , and it really does make a difference.

7. starlingdaly

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    I will have to find an avian vet or livestock clinic to do a fecal. Thanks for the advise. :)
    Of course I don't let cockroaches in my cupboards, but at the same time, I've never had a problem with them because I store things properly and keep things clean. A logic I'd hoped would carry over to my animal's health as well.
    Oh well, always learning new things and need to adapt with it.

8. Cowboy44

Oct 6, 2012
    South Central KY
    I plan on checking just to see what and who are around me to see if they have anything out of the normal for my little town. i would like to have a rare breed that others dont have right now i have a pair of Columbian Plymouth Rock (large fowl) i've only seen bantams til this year and i lucked up on them. i want some common stuff too though. dont plan on showing just eggs and meat and sells.
    So do you show your birds?

9. thedragonlady

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    Any dog, horse, cow, cat, vet can run a fecal for you.

10. starlingdaly

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    Really? Maybe it's just my town, but it seems that most dog/cat vets around here will refuse to see chickens at all. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by