Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. starlingdaly

starlingdaly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    That's good, prsiriechickens! We can rule that one out. :)

2. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    I hatched chicks this year and they are fine. It is possible that the flock was treated for worms too soon to collecting eggs.

3. starlingdaly

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    Hmm, amazing. I never would have thought dewormer was capable of causing birth defects and genetic mutations but it *does* make sense.
    I bought three new babies from a different store and these look very healthy and sticky compared to my previous Aussies.
    [​IMG]

4. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Wazine is known for causing birth defects.

5. starlingdaly

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    Wow, remind me not to use it with my breeding flock! I try to go the most all natural route anyhow. :)

6. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    You should not hatch eggs for a month after treating them with wazine.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  7. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    Why would you use Wazine on mature birds ? It only gets round worms. Safeguard 10% Goat wormer and Valbazan have had ZERO side effects for me. They are much broader spectrum wormers too. Each bird is weighed, and individually dosed 4 times a year.

8. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    You would be amazed at what people will use--feed store nonsense and etc.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  9. starlingdaly

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    To each their own. :)
    I use pumpkin seeds and feed most of the pumpkins I grow to the chickens each year.
    I've been putting a tiny amount of DE in the food to keep bugs out and I hear that has some deworming qualities. I've recently added an experiment in oregano oil to my deworming protocol with promising results.
    Oh and I occasionally put garlic in their water. Most of these are preventative but I also believe small amounts of certain kinds worms can be beneficial (it's been studied with humans lately) and I also don't want to shock their systems with a sudden die off of EVERYTHING. So I don't mind if I don't manage to kill every single parasite with every worming. So far so good. I'll change my methods if it becomes an issue or if there is new research about it. :)
    Anyone do things similarly? :)

10. starlingdaly

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    On a side note, I have used fenbendazole to deworm my dog and cats and it worked perfectly with no side effects except one angry cat. I've always been too scared to try it with my chickens though since I eat their eggs and may eventually eat them too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by