Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    thanks Dan,
    nice to know about the Australorp and Buckeye and their ability to fight or immunity since I have both breeds also.
    John

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Other than Fatty Liver, My Australorps have had no problems. Golden Comets are another story...

3. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

4. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    One of the I use as a Sentinel chicken, the one that has a problem first. She showed symptoms of mites while the others, especially the BAs did not. Another Golden Comet had egg laying problems and died at 1.5 years old of cancer.

The BAs are always healthy and are laying eggs well at 2.5 years old. They are just healthier, except for Fatty Liver which is likely something going on with Cackle Hatchery.

5. MeanV2

MeanV2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    You kind of touch on something I was wondering. Do you think different strains of each breed could be more or less tolerant of different pests, disease, etc than other strains of the same breed?

Dan

6. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I think there are general characteristics and then slight differences between strains. Leghorns are generally resistant to Mareks but some will be more resistant than others for example. The same seems to go along with things like fast and slow feathering with some breeds.

BAs are Generally resistant to bugs and etc.(maybe because they will eat more bugs?) but some strains and individuals may not be as resistant.

7. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    yes , dominiques, sebrights and some other breeds are highly suseptable to mereks..other breeds such as australorp, strains of leghorn and orpingtons ect..have a B factor in their blood ,a genetic mutation that makes them immune to mereks and probably an assortment of other disease..they never seem to get sick with common disease..they are such a practical breed to keep..

8. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    So, how well do your 'lorps lay in the first year or so, then?

9. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    They laid a lot the first year. They are from Cackle Hatchery. They still lay 3 or so each a week.

10. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    Since I don't have a hatchery australorp, will she lay better or worse?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by