Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    And how often do y'all BA's go broody?

2. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Laying will depend on the line. Some have Sherman Australorps and others have different ones. They all lay well though and should lay better longer.

Congratulations!

3. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    Oh no, mine aren't laying just yet, just curious.

4. MeanV2

MeanV2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    Ron, It will be interesting to see your comparisons on your Hatchery BA's compared to your Hupp BA's as they mature over the coming year or so.

Dan

5. MeanV2

Feb 15, 2013
    These are BA's from Gilberts same breeding pen as half of my 20 the only difference in mine are 9 weeks old and these are 23 weeks old. Breeders feel free to Critique.

Dan
    [​IMG]

6. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Yes, I agree. They are going to be a lot bigger and will probably lay bigger eggs. The eggs they hatched from were bigger. My Hatchery BAs lay a med to large egg.

7. jungletoy

jungletoy Out Of The Brooder

Breeders!

Need a fine specimen of a tutored BA rooster for sixty BAs (Ideal) and sixty BSLs. Paradise or hell for him depending on your perspective. [​IMG]

Please PM me if you have or will have one available now or within the next three months. Thx!

8. MeanV2

Feb 15, 2013
    I think you need a lot more than one Rooster! [​IMG]

Dan

9. jungletoy

jungletoy Out Of The Brooder

Indeed. There are only 4 males (humans, dogs, cats) on our ranch and we are awash in way to much estrogen. It begs the question though, can a large flock be functional with multiple roosters? Or do you keep the roosters separate until you want to get viable eggs? I'd be happy to have more (shhhhhhh) as I'm preparing for maintaining my flock DIY style rather than adding 100 every two years at $3.85. I have a large selection of BSLs and BAs of which I'm sure I have a few top shelf candidates (at least based on my feeble understanding of the BA show qualities) for mating. I wanted to break out of the breeder stock and introduce new blood into the Ideal BAs, like some of the things you guys are doing. I wish I had seen this thread before I decided a cook-off between BAs and BSLs. I've see a few genetic defects in the BSLs (missing middle toenails, retarded feather development) which could be directly attributed breeding practices and statistical variance. In the end they are both prolific layers of medium to large eggs (under my homeostasis program). Any help or guidance you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Very informative thread!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  10. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    One Rooster for 10 or so hens would work for flock breeding. The Rooster may have his favorites, so if you have only one you will have some hens not laying fertile eggs(usually).

You will have a great DIY system going. 3 Rooster would be better--Chickens die, especially when you need that special one....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by