Australorps breed Thread

Quote:
Around 8 to 10 weeks if you feel down their legs you should have a tiny bump (you can barely feel it but it is considerably noticeable) towards the bottom part by the feet. If there is a bump on each leg in that area it is obviously a rooster. Hens never get these as it is the beginning signs of their spurs. At least that is how I confirm my suspicions. Roos definitely carry themselves different than hens and I am usually able to tell just by watching for a few mins here and there but just to be sure I always check out the legs. Hope it helps.

Quote:
Yep Youri, they are very different. This is the hen I had when I lived in Australia. Loved her, she was a great layer, a good broody and a BIG bird.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn270/coopslave/chooks/100_0474-1.jpg

That is the most beautiful chicken I have ever seen. Makes my australorps look down right ugly! I sure would like to have a flock of those beauties.
smile.png

Ok, folks, sorry to be a pest (again) but I am having that age-old dilemma "Roo or pullet?"
Here is a pic of my 11 week-old little question mark:

58241_garden_and_chooks_014.jpg

This is Russell Crowes, who has been an obvious roo since he was 4 weeks old:

58241_garden_and_chooks_007.jpg

I have 3 obvious, tiny-combed pullets, 2 completely obvious roos and 3 question marks like the one in the first photo.
Their outdoor run goes up Saturday, and when I can get them all out in the open, I will post more pics, for clarity.

Thanks, as always, in advance.
Brightest Blessings!!!

Okay, experienced Australorp enthusiasts, I have a question. I have several of this breed that I got from Tractor Supply, but I notice almost all of them have some streaks of brown in them, mainly in the neck area. I was looking at Meyer's Hatchery website and they say their Australorps have white tipped feathers until they are grown then they turn all black. I am wondering if my birds are true Australorps, or do you think something else is mixed in? Is it normal for them to start out with brown, and will it eventually go away when they molt? None have any white on them anywhere. They are about 6 to 8 weeks old. I have one rooster and two hens that are all black with the green sheen, but the rest all have brown in them.

I'm thinking of ordering a few more from either Ideal or Meyer's. Do you think they are any better stock than Tractor Supply, or are they all about the same?

Thanks!

Orange ribbon, I am kinda new, but none of my 14 have ever had any brown in them, whatever.
They have all started out in varying shades of fluffy black and yellow, and have become deep black with green sheen, when the new feathers came in. I do see the odd white tipped feather, but never any brown.
Looking forward to hearing expert opinions on this.

Bright Blessings!

at tractor supply, the breeds are always getting mixed up. sounds like you got some black sex links. i haven't had this breed long enough to be any expert but from what i have seen with my birds any white tipped feathers will be gone when they are grown. i have a question of my own: do all black australorps have dark brown eyes?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom