Australorps breed Thread

Rachel'sFlock :

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Rachel'sFlock :

Thanks to everyone who helped me speculate about the gender of my straight runs.
I ended up with 5 roos in 8.
barnie.gif

But, I have a beautiful Daddy for my future fluffy butts and we are probably going to have a BBQ we will never forget!
Thanks again!!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/58241_chooks_again_003.jpg

Pretty flock!
thumbsup.gif

I hatched out 11 BA last wk, sadly 3 died so I now have 8. Hoping for 7 hens and 1 roo...I know I'm dreaming right!
lau.gif

~ Aspen

Fingers crossed for your & hens and a roo plan, MrsFluffyPuffy!!!
Thanks for the kind words about my lot. I love 'em!

Bright Blessings!​

Haha, thank you.
smile.png

They're so pretty. Were did you get them?

~ Aspen​

Aspen,
They all came from Dunlap hatchery in Caldwell Idaho. I bought them at feed stores in my area (central coast Oregon).
I got tired of buying chicks and decided to make some of our own, next season!
They are pretty great. I have one that is pretty broody and has light brown eyes, so I probably won't use her eggs to hatch, and I have one who has weirdly fluffy feathers, and I am not taking any chances with her eggs, either.
They have been very hearty and healthy and I have been very happy with them, for the type- straight pet quality reliable layers.

Thanks for the kind words!
Bright Blessings

Rachel'sFlock :

Aspen,
They all came from Dunlap hatchery in Caldwell Idaho. I bought them at feed stores in my area (central coast Oregon).
I got tired of buying chicks and decided to make some of our own, next season!
They are pretty great. I have one that is pretty broody and has light brown eyes, so I probably won't use her eggs to hatch, and I have one who has weirdly fluffy feathers, and I am not taking any chances with her eggs, either.
They have been very hearty and healthy and I have been very happy with them, for the type- straight pet quality reliable layers.

Thanks for the kind words!
Bright Blessings

They're so pretty. I bought two dozen eggs from a lady on CL. Have no clue where her flock came from. I got them because I read they lay well, and take the heat very well, also because I needed a few more layers. Now that I have all my rare purebred chickens no one is allowed to eat their eggs so I needed some hens that would just lay eggs for the family!
lol.png

~ Aspen​

Can I have someone's opinion?? I have three australorps, and one doesn't look much like the other two. Darker comb and wattles, smaller,and brown in her chest feathers. Do you think she is crossed with something?
85560_dscf2023.jpg

size difference
85560_dscf2032.jpg

85560_dscf2009.jpg

brown chest feathers
85560_dscf2027.jpg

85560_dscf2025.jpg

She lays well so it doesn't matter, but I'm curious!

it looks like another breed has popped up in your australorps. it may be several generations back. some things have popped up in mine this year but have figured out which hen is throwing the birds with wrong color eyes. she is a good layer but real light brown eggs. will not hatch any more eggs from her and will probably sell her as a layer this fall.

I live in the city and got rid of my roo so I'm not looking to hatch, but she doesn't have much of a personality either... BF has set the limit at six so I'm thinking I may make a road trip to my momma's house and trade her out for an EE. I'll keep my two favorite australorps and have some color to add into my lawn candy!

This has probably been asked before, but I found lots of really different answers. So when did your BA start laying? Not when she has reached a normal egg size, but instead, when she just STARTS. I'm really excited for my BA!!! Thanks.

I just got 2 Australorps a couple of weeks ago (first ones) and I was just wanting to know what the eye color is supposed to be and are they supposed to sound like ducks:confused:

Back
Top Bottom