Australorps breed Thread

My Gilbert BA's are 17 weeks old today. I weighed a cockerel at 6# 4oz & a Pullet at 4# 2oz, I need to cull a few cockerels soon and work the number down a tad.

Dan

I will try to get a few pics of some of the cockerels later this week.

Dan

Dan,
How long do you keep them on the gamebird starter ? I'm feeding that now, and mine are about18 wks old and growing nicely.

Well Mine are 17 weeks. I figured I'd keep them on it for 6 months to a year. They seem to be doing real good!

Dan
Will you mix it with layer feed when they get closer to laying or will you just supplement with oyster shell ? By this Nov. ( depending on the weather ) mine will have to go into the coop with the
adults. I don't want to short change them, they are coming along nicely.

Will you mix it with layer feed when they get closer to laying or will you just supplement with oyster shell ? By this Nov. ( depending on the weather ) mine will have to go into the coop with the
adults. I don't want to short change them, they are coming along nicely.

Kurt, Lynne, Ross You that are more experienced about feeding this Hi Pro feed feel free to chime in here. I too am wondering what is the best thing to do here. I had planned on keeping them on the Hi Pro for the foreseeable future. I have been giving them a scoop of Scratch Grains in the morning, but they have constant access to the Purina Hi Pro Game Bird Starter.

Coming in the next couple of weeks will be pics of my New Black Australorp Condo!

Dan

Kurt, Lynne, Ross You that are more experienced about feeding this Hi Pro feed feel free to chime in here. I too am wondering what is the best thing to do here. I had planned on keeping them on the Hi Pro for the foreseeable future. I have been giving them a scoop of Scratch Grains in the morning, but they have constant access to the Purina Hi Pro Game Bird Starter.

Coming in the next couple of weeks will be pics of my New Black Australorp Condo!

Dan

I use a special mill mix that an APA judge had made for him..it actually has greens in it..
I have no idea why , but they used to call it turkey grower..but so many show poultry people were buying it, they changed it to poultry grower..turkeys need more protien..what ever protien isnt used is just excreated..Chickens are omnivors so they do need protien to make nice feathers and muscle.. cant wait to see the new condo!!

I never give the calcium layer pellets until they start laying, thou once in a while they sell out of the poultry grower pellets so I have no choice..hate when that happens but its what it is..so far hasnt killed any of them..the older birds all get the layer pellets..

Last edited:
They are very pretty! Me to on trying to decide which cockerels to keep. I have a herd of them to have to choose from.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom