Australorps breed Thread

Me to on Perth and I think it's because his back is more flat and not rounded like the other one. 
an australorp should not have a flat back. It should slope down from the mech over the shoulders then curve back up into a 45° angled tail... With no breaks at the base of neck or base of tail.

I have to brag now... Elphaba laid her fourth egg today and it weighed 2 ounces! her first egg was 1.4 oz. and Snowball's egg (leghorn) was 2.3 ounces and she's been laying for about a year now... Wow! I hope Elphaba's eggs stay big!!
This huge egg was actually a double yolker! We used it last night and the yolk was a beautiful dark yellow/orange.
D.gif

an australorp should not have a flat back. It should slope down from the mech over the shoulders then curve back up into a 45° angled tail... With no breaks at the base of neck or base of tail.
The curve will increase as the chicken grows. A perfect curve at 4 months will be too much of a curve when full grown.

That said, watch out for turning your Black Australorps into Orpingtons. We already have Orps so lets get the BAs looking like BAs.

OK I gotta ask, what's a mech? Where's this? No breaks? I'm not understanding. :( Mine did come from hatchery but they said it was many generations ago. I'm trying to find a black eyed cockerel in the bunch but it's sort of hard when they wont be still and you don't see up close very well.

The curve will increase as the chicken grows. A perfect curve at 4 months will be too much of a curve when full grown.

That said, watch out for turning your Black Australorps into Orpingtons. We already have Orps so lets get the BAs looking like BAs.
so if I pick out one that has the flatter back it should be more curvy later on as it grows? Mine are 3 months old as of the 9th of this month.
So is Darwin on the pic that was posted about what you are talking about with the curve and stuff? I am soooo clueless.
roll.png

Last edited:
so if I pick out one that has the flatter back it should be more curvy later on as it grows? Mine are 3 months old as of the 9th of this month.
So is Darwin on the pic that was posted about what you are talking about with the curve and stuff? I am soooo clueless.
roll.png
Yes. The tail should go up 15 to 20%. It is one of the reasons that you should wait to breed them until they are older. I know it is expensive to keep a lot of chickens but if you are breeding for SOP, you need to see what they look like when they are full grown. They sometimes show up with faults after the first molt too.

Pick the best three boys and the best 5 or so girls and hold onto them to see what they look like at a year old.

Yes. The tail should go up 15 to 20%. It is one of the reasons that you should wait to breed them until they are older. I know it is expensive to keep a lot of chickens but if you are breeding for SOP, you need to see what they look like when they are full grown. They sometimes show up with faults after the first molt too.

Pick the best three boys and the best 5 or so girls and hold onto them to see what they look like at a year old.
Thanx Ron!

If Darwin had any saddle feathers his back curve would be quite nice, if the saddle and tail coverts filled in and flowed into the tail. I have had very few that go from horizontal tails to 45, that is a headache waiting to happen, when naturally lazy tailed females start off horizontal. Just my experience.

I am still trying to decide who is going to be the daddy. My choices are 5 and 6 months old. Which one do you think should have the honor?

Darwin

Perth

Cindy

I can't see Perths comb. I kind of like Darwin, but I am no expert. I think Cube Kid knows his stuff so anything he says I would listen closely to.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom