Australorps breed Thread

Not sure Kurt! I know you have your Urch & Hupp BA's did you start with something else? Do you still have any of your original birds if you did start with something else?

I am pretty pleased with my Gilbert birds. I think at least they are a solid place to start.

Dan

If I had not found backyardchickens.com & this thread I would have a bunch of hatchery birds right now. I am very Thankful that I was educated by people on here.

Nothing wrong with hatchery birds if you are looking for layers, etc., but I am interested in breeding and sustaining my own flock. Just for the fun and experience of it, and to do my best to improve the breed.

I know from years in competing and breeding dogs, a well bred dog does not eat any more than a cull does. An Old man I was friends with for many years told me You Never will have winners if you keep feeding losers. I think that was Good advice and changed my outlook on breeding dogs.

I think you could apply it to anything!

The Great thing in Dogs, Chickens, whatever is that what one person doesn't want another is tickled to death with. So there is a place for all and it is All Good!

Dan

If I had not found backyardchickens.com & this thread I would have a bunch of hatchery birds right now. I am very Thankful that I was educated by people on here.

Nothing wrong with hatchery birds if you are looking for layers, etc., but I am interested in breeding and sustaining my own flock. Just for the fun and experience of it, and to do my best to improve the breed.

I know from years in competing and breeding dogs, a well bred dog does not eat any more than a cull does. An Old man I was friends with for many years told me You Never will have winners if you keep feeding losers. I think that was Good advice and changed my outlook on breeding dogs.

The Great thing in Dogs, Chickens, whatever is that what one person doesn't want another is tickled to death with. So there is a place for all and it is All Good!

Dan

That is a very good point! BYC has helped me get some Amazing chickens.

Dan

That is a very good point! BYC has helped me get some Amazing chickens.
same here, I have never seen anything like the BAs from Mr. Urch. It has been a joy to watch them grow. A big thank you to BYC

Last edited:
same here, I have never seen anything like the BAs from Mr. Urch. It has been a joy to watch them grow. A big thank you to BYC

Hey John! How is the new home working out? If you ever come through here;let me know and we'll meet up for a meal or a hot cup of coffee!

Dan

coffee and a meal is a great idea, might head your way, still have not sold the house in NC, sheet rock on the walls, son-in-law got his liver transplant last week, getting to know our grandsons better, nice to be near family

John

MeanV2.
Dan, Right now I still have Urch, Hupp and Tigercreek Lines separated. Against my better judgement I will try crossing some of the best to see what I get this winter. My breeding pens have been shut down for quite a while now. People keep calling me for babies and I am fresh out.
I do have a 21 week old Blue Australorp cockerel that I want to sell who really turned out nice, but I have not decided on a price yet. I would rather have someone come get him instead of the inflated shipping cost,he is from my Hupp Line. In the past I have driven many miles for a bird I liked that someone had.
Kurt

Dan

I got the same advise Dan..an old poultry breeder told me it costs as much to feed a bad bird as it does to feed a good one..he also told me dont rush judgement because they grow and change and I have a culled a few that never should have left here..lessons learned..

Kurt, So the Urch BA's were the first ones you had? You have talked to Chet more than I have. What line are his birds from? I was under the impression that he crossed more than one line to arrive where he is.

Maybe I am mistaken!

Dan

Back
Top Bottom