Australorps breed Thread

Sarah, my one hen I got this year just started laying at 20 weeks. My granddaughter picked out 3 of them and 2 were roosters. I love the beautiful brown eggs.

Here is Mella Bella enjoying some garden goodies. She seems to really love split open cukes.
big_smile.png

~Dee~

Sarah, my one hen I got this year just started laying at 20 weeks. My granddaughter picked out 3 of them and 2 were roosters. I love the beautiful brown eggs.

Hey Hagar3. I'm not Sarah, of course, but just wanted to butt in to say that I am excited to hear your hen began laying at 20 weeks old. Mine are 19 weeks 2 days old. This Friday they will be 20 weeks. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
fl.gif

~Dee~

Dee, The Australorp laid an 84 Gram egg today. That's about a size over Jumbo. We have gotten a few Jumbos from her. This is the largest yet and they are a beautiful brown.

Byron

Hello & welcome sabur2332.
frow.gif

Enjoyed the pic of the cute little girl holding the BA. Neat to see youngsters involved with chickens.

Hey everyone. I kinda got side tracked for awhile but got caught up on your posts today. Always a joy to see pics of your BA's and hear how you are doing with yours.
I need to take some new pics of mine to post here soon. Yeh, I know they aren't gorgeous like Kurt's or Ron's.
droolin.gif
They have the squirrel tails Kurt hates among other flaws.
lol.png

Don't compare with the likes of yours but know you understand they are mine and I love them.
love.gif

highfive.gif
Hope to see some eggs in the next few weeks.

Mine are enjoying lots of goodies from our garden these days. They go bonkers over split open cucumbers and tomatoes as well as chard. They don't like strawberries which seems weird.
The growing season was off this year so our zucchini are tiny. So we don't have the usual big ones to share with the chickens which we normally have done. Too bad as during the winter months they really enjoy them. Fall is in the air so preparing for winter is on my mind.
wink.png

Take care everyone.
~Dee~
I am glad to hear that there are other people sharing their garden goodies with their chicks, as I have been sharing alot with mine. The wet summer has not made for good gardening.The one thing I did plant just for them has done very well.I planted them sunflowers. With all intentions of giving them to them during the cold winter months when they need the extra protine that sun flower seeds provide .Did anyone else plant something in their garden with their chicks in mind?

Wondering if anyone can give me your thoughts. I have a hatchery BA chick. She is 1 month old tomorrow. She seems to be doing great. She's friendly, active, and jostling for top chick position. But she is much smaller than my Barred Rock and my Golden Sex link. She about as long as my two English Orpingtons but leaner looking (they are really round). Since I only have one of each breed (except the English) I'm not sure if it's just breed difference with rate of maturity. Like I said she seems healthy so I'm hoping it's just breed difference but would love some opinions of people who know more than me.

These are both taken at 24 days. Will be taking one month pictures tomorrow

I am glad to hear that there are other people sharing their garden goodies with their chicks, as I have been sharing alot with mine. The wet summer has not made for good gardening.The one thing I did plant just for them has done very well.I planted them sunflowers. With all  intentions of giving them to them during the cold winter months when they need  the extra protine that sun flower seeds provide .Did anyone else plant something in their garden with their chicks in mind?

We live in Peach County Georgia so we have plenty of peaches which they love. Watermelon is thier favorite as it is with the grandchildren. They also get plenty of tomatos, cantaloupe and other garden items. I am planting spinach, kale, brocolli, turnips and carrots in my Fall garden. I throw down a few extra seed so there isn't any competition between the family and the chickens.

Wondering if anyone can give me your thoughts. I have a hatchery BA chick. She is 1 month old tomorrow. She seems to be doing great. She's friendly, active, and jostling for top chick position. But she is much smaller than my Barred Rock and my Golden Sex link. She about as long as my two English Orpingtons but leaner looking (they are really round). Since I only have one of each breed (except the English) I'm not sure if it's just breed difference with rate of maturity. Like I said she seems healthy so I'm hoping it's just breed difference but would love some opinions of people who know more than me. These are both taken at 24 days. Will be taking one month pictures tomorrow
I have a hatchery BA, she is now 14 weeks and very full but she looked similar to yours at one month but had more of a tail. I will post a pic of her then and now ( I may have to do it in two post, my phone will only let me
post one pic at a time).

Back
Top Bottom