Australorps breed Thread

I'm interested in finding an Australorp breeder in the Frederick County Maryland vicinity. I'm having a hard time with that. So far, I've had a response from two.... in MA and Virginia. I had a bad experience with getting them from an online chick organization...I won't name a company, but I was supposed to have 2 females and I ended up with 2 males, and had to find a home for them. The roosters were really nice, and friendly, but we only had 5 hens, and the neighbors could hear them. If it would only have been one, I think we could have gotten away with it....but two? I couldn't keep just one because they were buddies, they roosted beside each other, rested while outside beside each other. They were inseparable.... anyhow, I'm still looking for females......4-5 week old chicks, or pullets. Thanks
Jill
Jill,
I am about 50 miles from you outside of Martinsburg, WV. I have been breeding quality BA's for the past 4 years. The problem is that most breeders have closed their breeding pens months ago.
I breed Dec. Jan. Feb. and March so I have point of lay in the spring and some babies for sale. Also, if you are interested in showing then birds born early spring and winter are the right age for the fall shows. I will be away this weekend. When I get back I will PM you my phone number if you want to discuss Black Australorps further, let me know. Go to my profile and check out some pics of my birds.
Kurt

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I recently purchased two (hopefully) BA pullets off supposedly originally a quality line from upper Michigan. My neighbor and I both got two. We got them from someone on the cheesehead thread on here sight unseen and met her to pick up the birds at a third BYCers farm. Anyway, when we got them home we both noticed we each had one large and one small bird. Hers has already almost caught up in size and mine is gaining ground. Come to find out later she was feeding all her birds (emphasis on all) All Flock including the chicks. BTW - these were 9 weeks when we got them and are now 12. Mine are starting to look better, eating like little pigs on the Nutrena starter/grower even with a round of a ampro for a cocci scare. My question for you Aussie pros is would it help them if I added extra protein to their diet? I live in northern WI and want to get them in best condition possible before our winter hits.
I just have a small mixed flock that I hope to eventually be all quality Aussies. Fell in love with them after acquiring a tattered lady that I got from a horrible situation. She recently became very ill and I had to end her suffering but she was so sweet and I miss her.

Also, does anyone have a lead on a quality breeder in my neck of the woods???

Thank you in advance for your input!

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased two (hopefully) BA pullets off supposedly originally a quality line from upper Michigan. My neighbor and I both got two. We got them from someone on the cheesehead thread on here sight unseen and met her to pick up the birds at a third BYCers farm. Anyway, when we got them home we both noticed we each had one large and one small bird. Hers has already almost caught up in size and mine is gaining ground. Come to find out later she was feeding all her birds (emphasis on all) All Flock including the chicks. BTW - these were 9 weeks when we got them and are now 12. Mine are starting to look better, eating like little pigs on the Nutrena starter/grower even with a round of a ampro for a cocci scare. My question for you Aussie pros is would it help them if I added extra protein to their diet? I live in northern WI and want to get them in best condition possible before our winter hits.
I just have a small mixed flock that I hope to eventually be all quality Aussies. Fell in love with them after acquiring a tattered lady that I got from a horrible situation. She recently became very ill and I had to end her suffering but she was so sweet and I miss her.

Congratulations on getting BAs!

Post pictures Please.

At 12 weeks old you should know gender. For pullets, give them 18 to 20% feed and if you can find something with animal protein give them that. When they start laying give them Layer feed--16% protein but supplement with Calf Manna.

Hi everyone!

They might be a week or 2 apart in age .Hope they are both Ladies ! Love your avatar Pic ..a cutie !

About the chicks heading into a northern winter ... My birds have almost made it to the end of our deep south summer and will be so happy with winter. Mississippi had a mildish summer, but all of us will be happy with winter. Sorry yours will be hard.

As a chick I'd welcome boiled, chopped eggs and grated carrots and spinach. Brewers yeast sprinkled over the top would be wonderful. I'd also adore raw oatmeal, even with all the carbs.
droolin.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Hi everyone!

I feed Purina Game Bird Starter. It does have animal protein in it. The protein is 30%. Mine have done excellent on it! 19 week old pullets are weighing 4# 8oz and cockerels are weighing over 7#

Dan

Wondering something.....I'm hearing folks say the BA's go broody a whole lot. Is this true? I have 7 pullets that will be 4 months old on the 9th of this month. Not laying yet but maybe soon.

Wondering something.....I'm hearing folks say the BA's go broody a whole lot. Is this true? I have 7 pullets that will be 4 months old on the 9th of this month. Not laying yet but maybe soon.
Not my Hatchery BAs. I will let you know about the Hupp BAs.

My Blue pullet was ripping up the nest box this afternoon..Come on first egg!

Back
Top Bottom