Australorps breed Thread

Quote: I sure will. Thanks!

It is.
idunno.gif
She eats just fine, even shoves her way to the feeder. She always has a nice full crop, which empties at night, and then she's back to gobbling down more food in the morning. Puzzling, and a little concerning, but I don't plan to cull her, and if she makes it to adulthood, she will live with the pet flock.
smile.png

Thank you Ron, I feel better now. I thought it was tiny for my first one. Never had chickens before so I have no clue. I did know they start out small and end up small as they lay out to. Well I guess BA's do that to. ???

Your BAs will get up to the Large to Ex Large size soon. Since they just started laying for you, they should continue laying all winter. The eggs will get to the first year size in a month or so. They will molt next fall, so 1.5 years old for the first molt. Molting will stop egg laying for 4 to 6 weeks and when they start up again, the eggs will be bigger than during the first year.

These are averages! YMMV.

Modern Sizes (USA)
Size​
Mass per egg​
Cooking Yield (Volume)[2]
Jumbo​
Greater than 2.5 oz. or 71 g
Very Large or Extra-Large (XL)​
Greater than 2.25 oz. or 64 g 56 mL (4 tbsp)
Large (L)​
Greater than 2 oz. or 57 g 46 mL (3.25 tbsp)
Medium (M)​
Greater than 1.75 oz. or 50 g 43 mL (3 tbsp)
Small (S)​
Greater than 1.5 oz. or 43 g
Peewee​
Greater than 1.25 oz. or 35 g

I sure will. Thanks!

It is.
idunno.gif
She eats just fine, even shoves her way to the feeder. She always has a nice full crop, which empties at night, and then she's back to gobbling down more food in the morning. Puzzling, and a little concerning, but I don't plan to cull her, and if she makes it to adulthood, she will live with the pet flock.
smile.png

I wonder if she/he will always be small framed. Do keep us posted on it as it grows up.
lol.png

A few more: Anybody looking for a blue cockerel, make me an offer, local pick up only! Kurt
These birds look very nice! I was expecting a little more... AustralORP, seems I was wrong, good work Chet!!! Only criticism I have is the breast development, and the tail length. The females tails seem short, of course I'm not handling them, so it's probably new incoming feathers, but limited on photos. The male seems to need a little better saddle sweep, where it doesn't split to let the tail come through. They may also develope more breast with age, but I'm noticing birds of my own that are not... I can only hope. These are excellent representations of the breed nonetheless. Good luck with them Kurt, I know they are in good hands! Zach

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom