Australorps breed Thread

Quote:

thank you Rosemarie for the understanding. yes, the little one is the one that was sick with the virulent strain of cocci and then found to be totally overloaded with roundworms as well so she/he was losing copious amounts of intestinal lining. Thus the stunting and late development compared to his brother.

How bid do the Hupp Blue Australorps get? My 28 week old pullet weighs 6lbs 4.2oz. She is a big girl!
WOW yes she is Ron. I was noticing mine this evening how pretty they are getting. I don't have heritage Aussies but do plan on fixing that really soon.
wink.png

WOW yes she is Ron. I was noticing mine this evening how pretty they are getting. I don't have heritage Aussies but do plan on fixing that really soon.
wink.png

She weighs 2 pounds more than my Hatchery Australorps and they are three years old! I will work on pictures tomorrow--it should be a nice day for pictures.

they are all very pretty, even the Hatchery Lorps.

She weighs 2 pounds more than my Hatchery Australorps and they are three years old! I will work on pictures tomorrow--it should be a nice day for pictures.

they are all very pretty, even the Hatchery Lorps.
lol yeah I want to take some more of mine to. Might need to break out the old camera. I had a RIR IN my sweeper today. I was rolling laughing at it and thought I needed to get a pic of it in there BUT knew by the time I got back with the camera she'd be out. I was sweeping up leaves and straw and had stopped to see if one of them had laid. Came back and she was IN the sweeper scratching through the leaves in it. LOL

WOW and the others are wayyyyy older. Can't wait to see the pictures!
OK you have BOTH heritage and hatchery stock. HOW do you keep them apart so you will know you have heritage hatching? Do you let your girls hatch out their own? I'd love to be able to keep mine that I have now since they are my first chickens and I am just a bit attached.
wink.png
After all I did raise them from just a few hours old until now. Would love to hear some details on how you work it out between the two. I let mine free range and I wonder if that would be a problem. I don't have any roos in my hatchery ones. I didn't like the looks of them. They were just too tall and lankie sp?

HOW do you keep them apart so you will know you have heritage hatching? Do you let your girls hatch out their own?
I have toe punched the hatchery chicks, I have built breeding tractors that I will use in the spring and leave the hatchery pullets/hens in the "egg barn" and move the breeders to the tractors. I eventually want a broody will not try and break them of being broody, that being said I have thought about how nice it would be to only hatch in March and send the extras to Camp Freezer in October. Both of these ideas are a work in progress since I have never tried to breed before, I would always just buy hatchery chicks in the spring and process in the fall. (that system will/would be nice when the temperature is ten below zero). Now that I have seen the hatchery pullets next to the pullets I bought as chicks from Mr. Urch I know that there is no need for toe punching.

lol yeah I want to take some more of mine to. Might need to break out the old camera. I had a RIR IN my sweeper today. I was rolling laughing at it and thought I needed to get a pic of it in there BUT knew by the time I got back with the camera she'd be out. I was sweeping up leaves and straw and had stopped to see if one of them had laid. Came back and she was IN the sweeper scratching through the leaves in it. LOL

WOW and the others are wayyyyy older. Can't wait to see the pictures!
OK you have BOTH heritage and hatchery stock. HOW do you keep them apart so you will know you have heritage hatching? Do you let your girls hatch out their own? I'd love to be able to keep mine that I have now since they are my first chickens and I am just a bit attached.
wink.png
After all I did raise them from just a few hours old until now. Would love to hear some details on how you work it out between the two. I let mine free range and I wonder if that would be a problem. I don't have any roos in my hatchery ones. I didn't like the looks of them. They were just too tall and lankie sp?
I use Spiral bands to keep track of them now but only band the ones I wast to breed from

I have toe punched the hatchery chicks, I have built breeding tractors that I will use in the spring and leave the hatchery pullets/hens in the "egg barn" and move the breeders to the tractors. I eventually want a broody will not try and break them of being broody, that being said I have thought about how nice it would be to only hatch in March and send the extras to Camp Freezer in October. Both of these ideas are a work in progress since I have never tried to breed before, I would always just buy hatchery chicks in the spring and process in the fall. (that system will/would be nice when the temperature is ten below zero). Now that I have seen the hatchery pullets next to the pullets I bought as chicks from Mr. Urch I know that there is no need for toe punching.
There is no way to confuse the Hatchery chickens from the Breeder or Show Quality line. I may use hole punches, but to keep track of the year they hatched. They Fogel Rhode Island Reds molt out looking like a first year pullet.

Last edited:
HOW do you keep them apart

It's Not hard to tell them apart. I have both also, although my non-hatchery stock still needs a lot of work !! I also use spiral leg bands. 1 color for the year hatched and another color for the breeder it came from. The color for this year is orange and I have youngsters from 2 different breeders. So the bands are orange & white or orange & green. When it comes time for breeding, only the better birds will be penned together and the others will go to the layer flock.

Back
Top Bottom