Australorps breed Thread

Gorgeous birds!!! ThAnk you for showing such lovely Aussies and I love your run. I am so jealous!!! We are in the 20s right now and getting snow flurries.
hit.gif
oh no Vicki!
th.gif
I am so sorry! UGHHHH I don't like snow!
Actually that isn't the run, that is where they roost. Where the pile of deep litter is has the 2x4's over it for them to roost on. I just have about a 4' area of sand to walk through there so I wont be stepping in the deep litter. Not wild about walking through it not knowing for SURE there isn't a snake under it. So I keep me a walking area where I can see what is what. lol Anyway their run is deep in deep litter and I KNEW they would spill the little pans of dry food so I put it in there for them to eat. They don't normally eat dry food since they eat fermented food so they don't really have a bowl for dry food.
wink.png

Thank you for you sweet comments and sorry about your snow! Maybe it will stop and you wont get anymore.

Hey Ron & RoseMarie1,

Just needed to tell you that I really admire your beautiful flocks. Thanks for sharing pics. Enjoyed them very much.

Take care.
~Dee~

Hey Ron & RoseMarie1,

Just needed to tell you that I really admire your beautiful flocks. Thanks for sharing pics. Enjoyed them very much.

Take care.
~Dee~

Thank you Dee!

I fed them some green cabbage today and the Blue Pullet thought my finger looked delicious!

It was very cute and did not hurt at all. They are very friendly chickens.

More snow. Thankfully so far it has warmed enough in the pm for it to melt. More flurries off and on due thru the weekend. Maybe not by Monday if the weather man's right, supposed to get a good snow then. :rolleyes:

Well, the verdict is in. Two roos :th. Good news is I found a home for the big one (that wasn't sick). A nice older gentleman with a mutt flock that loves roos. I am so glad. Even tho this guy will never make much.of an Aussie stud, he has turned into a really handsome guy the past couple weeks and really is a calm, shy fellow. I will be keeping the Pepper, the one that was so sick at least for now. I want to see what HE develops into and it wouldn't be fair to pass him on after being so sick to risk making someone else's flock ill. I do believe now tho he had the worst case of round worms I have ever seen in a living bird and that was his main problem. Why he didn't start shedding them sooner, I can only guess. He sure shed enough damaged tissue!!! I plan to take new pics (hopefully before I rehome the big one) if it stops snowing long enough.

Now I need to go let them out of the coop. The girls stuck their heads out yesterday, took one look y the snow and back peddled all the way up the ramp and refused to.come back out! :lau

More snow. Thankfully so far it has warmed enough in the pm for it to melt. More flurries off and on due thru the weekend. Maybe not by Monday if the weather man's right, supposed to get a good snow then.
roll.png

Well, the verdict is in. Two roos
th.gif
. Good news is I found a home for the big one (that wasn't sick). A nice older gentleman with a mutt flock that loves roos. I am so glad. Even tho this guy will never make much.of an Aussie stud, he has turned into a really handsome guy the past couple weeks and really is a calm, shy fellow. I will be keeping the Pepper, the one that was so sick at least for now. I want to see what HE develops into and it wouldn't be fair to pass him on after being so sick to risk making someone else's flock ill. I do believe now tho he had the worst case of round worms I have ever seen in a living bird and that was his main problem. Why he didn't start shedding them sooner, I can only guess. He sure shed enough damaged tissue!!! I plan to take new pics (hopefully before I rehome the big one) if it stops snowing long enough.

Now I need to go let them out of the coop. The girls stuck their heads out yesterday, took one look y the snow and back peddled all the way up the ramp and refused to.come back out!
lau.gif
lol those girls are some smart ones! Don't say as I blame them one bit. lol They sure can be funny sometimes. I was out there yesterday evening late putting up the plastic over the small area on the north wall that wasn't closed in yet and mine were freaking out because of the plastic.

HOW do you keep them apart

It's Not hard to tell them apart. I have both also, although my non-hatchery stock still needs a lot of work !! I also use spiral leg bands. 1 color for the year hatched and another color for the breeder it came from. The color for this year is orange and I have youngsters from 2 different breeders. So the bands are orange & white or orange & green. When it comes time for breeding, only the better birds will be penned together and the others will go to the layer flock.

I started using leg bands to tell my four apart and the grew out of them--I felt pretty bad to see marks on their fat little legs where the bands dug in!! Where do you get yours? My feedstore only sells smallers sizes and my girls are large and in charge!

Back
Top Bottom