Australorps breed Thread

@orumpoultry, the hen with that red leakage... is she a hatchery pullet? I'm sure you mentioned previously, but I can't remember. :/

That red under her chin looks a little sex-linky to me.

MrsB

Yes, the hen with the leakage and strange eyes came from a black pullet bin from idk where. A gift from my MIL. She said the guy said they were ' Black Ausserlorps ', I've always assumed she was just hatchery stock. I've never hatched her eggs but she is a great mother. Lays an egg a day. I had a whole flock of hens that were strange like her I finally sold. Some had more red than others. She gets to stay because she goes broody and lays daily.

Yes, the hen with the leakage and strange eyes came from a black pullet bin from idk where. A gift from my MIL. She said the guy said they were ' Black Ausserlorps ', I've always assumed she was just hatchery stock. I've never hatched her eggs but she is a great mother. Lays an egg a day. I had a whole flock of hens that were strange like her I finally sold. Some had more red than others. She gets to stay because she goes broody and lays daily.
black sexlinks are great hens.

It is common for feed stores to call all black chicks australorps.

Ron,

She is a great hen I'll give her that. I just finally had suspicions confirmed that she's not just a poor grade hatchery hen. But, in fact, a BSL. Hellen is allowed to live out her life here. She's fantastic.

I can't wait until Spencer and the pullet #9 reach full maturity so I can set some eggs from them. I'd love to see what their offspring look like. I'm debating on showing the pullet once she gets a little bigger, JUST to see how she compares to the other hens.

Kate

Here's mine that was sold to me as pullets at tractor,They were just baby chicks lol,A few of you on here said they may end up being Australorps which would be awesome!what ya think?
a7859a6cd0478a678934f5d7245df441.jpg
b4aea268bbd95f7cc6b0af65e2e206b9.jpg
My guess is yes. I guess this bc the only other blacknbirds that came through this way were Minorcas. They would ve completely black if they were. Only time will tell the truth. Best wishes.

We got our first egg!! Ok so actually I think it might be our third egg as hubby tells me now that there were a couple others down near the compost on the weekend, but our little (who am I kidding, our huge) Australorp Pepper has started laying! She just needs to work out now to do it in the nest box rather than the compost sigh. It's the same size as our other eggs (silkie x and faverolles), though darker, which considering these are her first little pullet eggs means we should be getting some decent sized ones for a change when she gets a bit older.

Back
Top Bottom