Australorps breed Thread

@MrsBrooke Sorry for your lost, but the good news was quite cheering. Thanks for sharing. I love hatches with very few males.

My son hatched some chicks with his 4H club. When they split up the hatch we received 3 pullets and one little roo. For some reason no one else in his group knows how to sex chicks. They are a month now and we are the only ones that are sure of what we have.

Not so strange, not many people can sex them young. Know I can't :)

I have 2 young black australorp hens, at what age should I expect to be able to see the green sheen? They're 2 months old now, we weren't sure what breed they were at first and when they were younger thought they were roos because of their large tails
1f60a.png
both girls are very pretty but they're most shy of my flock, all were handled equally as young chicks, these 2 for some reason are more timid than the others. But such pretty girls
1f60a.png

I have 2 young black australorp hens, at what age should I expect to be able to see the green sheen? They're 2 months old now, we weren't sure what breed they were at first and when they were younger thought they were roos because of their large tails
1f60a.png
both girls are very pretty but they're most shy of my flock, all were handled equally as young chicks, these 2 for some reason are more timid than the others. But such pretty girls
1f60a.png

probably about the time they are laying 5- 6 months ..
aussies are shy / timider than other breeds ..
Do you have a Roo ? no ? they will probably warm up to you when they start laying

I guess not always. I find it easier from hatch to a few days old. Feet and leg size, feather shape, and stature Usually give it away. I think it is also easier to compare because they are pretty nigh that same age.

Actually the compare is a good point. I've never had the ability to compare as they were either all slightly different mixes (and a mix of straight and rose combs) or only one hatched. If I had a bunch of all the same breed it probably would be a lot easier to spot the differences early on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom