Australorps breed Thread

Here is one of my other two BA's in this group. 4.5 weeks here

And here is my sweetest guy/gal (thinking pullet on this one). also the same one thats in my avatar as well. 4.5 weeks old here.

Cockle,
Two pullets for sure if they are that age or older.

Roosterandhens,
Will you kill a mean rooster when it scars your kids or grandkids by spurring their face? Or just give it away to someone else? Looking forward to your answer.
Kurt

Last edited:
Hello,

I thought I'd introduce myself - I just joined the forum today, though have been reading it for a little while. I am a new chicken owner - got my first chicks (from backyardchickens.com) last spring and currently have 14 hens (2 red sex links, 4 barred rocks, 4 australorps, 4 silver laced wyanedottes, and one blakc jersey giant). When breed selection was based on the fact that I wanted docile birds that were dual purpose. I am very happy with all of my girls, I get 14 eggs per day most days (usually one is a double yoker, that would be from an australorp).

I would like to breed my own australorps - love those birds. I just bought an australorp roo at the swap meet and would like your opinions on him. While I realize that he is not a show quality bird, I am hoping that he is at least average for the breed. He is about a year old, looking a bit scruffy from being transported to the meet and then home with me. Picture taking was difficult - he was very excited, of course. The profile picture has him fully stretched out as he was calling to my girls, he is really not that skinny looking.

I guess I should take pictures of my australorp girls too - some look better than others, I should use the best of what I have to breed.

Hello,

I thought I'd introduce myself - I just joined the forum today, though have been reading it for a little while. I am a new chicken owner - got my first chicks (from backyardchickens.com) last spring and currently have 14 hens (2 red sex links, 4 barred rocks, 4 australorps, 4 silver laced wyanedottes, and one blakc jersey giant). When breed selection was based on the fact that I wanted docile birds that were dual purpose. I am very happy with all of my girls, I get 14 eggs per day most days (usually one is a double yoker, that would be from an australorp).

I would like to breed my own australorps - love those birds. I just bought an australorp roo at the swap meet and would like your opinions on him. While I realize that he is not a show quality bird, I am hoping that he is at least average for the breed. He is about a year old, looking a bit scruffy from being transported to the meet and then home with me. Picture taking was difficult - he was very excited, of course. The profile picture has him fully stretched out as he was calling to my girls, he is really not that skinny looking.

I guess I should take pictures of my australorp girls too - some look better than others, I should use the best of what I have to breed.

He looks like a nice Utility Roo!

Others will have more detailed information for sure. Have fun with your flock and breeding program.

Equinefrnd,
welcome-byc.gif

Where are you located? Good luck with your flock. He is a big boy with minor faults, probably hatchery stock, but still looks good.

Hello,

Hello Equinefrnd! Welcome to the forum. You stated clearly in your opening remarks, that you bought your first birds with dual purpose in mind. Many of us have started out with the same idea. You also stated clearly that you are aware your roo is not show quality, and that fact has been reenforced by others. You will find good conversation and information on the forum. It is a very friendly place most of the time. Australorps are a great breed of chicken offering multiple possibilities, and whatever your focus, you will find people with similar interest on here who are very willing to share their experiences.

[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Marguerite Lindemann[/FONT] just won Reserve Champion Bantam at the Heartland Classic Poultry Show in Ana, IL.

She won with a Australorp bantam hen.

Back
Top Bottom