Australorps breed Thread

Speaking of first eggs, our Australorp laid her first egg today!!
celebrate.gif

Now I'm waiting on our BSL...
yea!!! Congrats on those first egg!!!

My April pullet started laying about two weeks ago, totally threw me off gaurd... Way unexpected, as last year I didn't get a summer pullet egg from any Australorps and had to wait till spring.

Congrats on the first egg lays from your youngsters Kurt & CQ.
yesss.gif
So rewarding when the eggs start coming.
Does anyone know the earliest an Aussie has laid the first egg? So far, Kurt, with your 18 wk. old it is the earliest I have heard about thus far.
Mine will be 16 weeks old on Friday so will be watching for any signs come September.
~Dee~

Dee,
Yep, that is earliest I have ever had an Aussie lay at 18 weeks, Hupp Farm Line. Tigercreek started laying at 19 weeks and I was excited about that. I have seen my Urch Line take between 20 weeks up to 27 weeks! I will try to get more pics of the blu and splashes tomorrow.
The splashes are really getting a lot of color. My 4 week old late hatch just went out in the grow up pen today because they were stinking up my garage and the dust was terrible.

Ross,
I can't put the book down!
Kurt

Thanks Kurt. Looking forward to seeing your pics.
So now I am wondering if there are any health ramifications when a breed of chicken begins laying sooner than they are known to do on average or not? Is that even an issue? Don't mind me. I just like to learn all I can about such things.
wink.png

~Dee~

Thanks Kurt. Looking forward to seeing your pics.
So now I am wondering if there are any health ramifications when a breed of chicken begins laying sooner than they are known to do on average or not? Is that even an issue? Don't mind me. I just like to learn all I can about such things.
wink.png

~Dee~

Not really. The Hupp birds are very large by 18 weeks so they have plenty of ability to lay eggs.

The problems come with the hybrids that lay 300 plus eggs a year.

Contrary to the propaganda, BAs lay less than 300 per year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom