Australorps breed Thread

It seems I remember reading that the black should have came from blue to have that hidden edging. They are not actually even laced. Missing the gene for that.

I have to brag now... Elphaba laid her fourth egg today and it weighed 2 ounces! her first egg was 1.4 oz. and Snowball's egg (leghorn) was 2.3 ounces and she's been laying for about a year now... Wow! I hope Elphaba's eggs stay big!!

I have to brag now... Elphaba laid her fourth egg today and it weighed 2 ounces! her first egg was 1.4 oz. and Snowball's egg (leghorn) was 2.3 ounces and she's been laying for about a year now... Wow! I hope Elphaba's eggs stay big!!

Congratulations!

Those are nice big eggs too.

I was replying to the topic of BAs and laying earlier than average for them--less than 22 or so weeks. The comparison is with Leghorns(commercial) and red hybrids. Both start on average at 16 to 20 weeks and have a lot of egg laying problems.

The egg laying problems come from the large number of eggs Leghorns and Hybrids lay in a year and not from starting early.
Oh OK.... thanx

so just tell them I am new at chickens & might have given you hens ...You still have a few Roos you could exchange them ..if they want ..
Doesnt hurt to ask ...if it bugs you ...tell them
thumbsup.gif
I THINK I gave him cockerels or he'd said something I'm sure. I'm just soooo uncertain when they're combs and wattles are so different and it makes you wonder if these are just maturing faster or something. I asked him last night how they were getting along with his 14 pullets and his 4 grown ones. He said the first night they roosted with the young ones and then last night they roosted with the older girls. lol

My Gilbert BA's are 17 weeks old today. I weighed a cockerel at 6# 4oz & a Pullet at 4# 2oz, I need to cull a few cockerels soon and work the number down a tad.

Dan

That is so wonderful! Congrats. Elphaba is doing a great job for a young'n.
clap.gif

~Dee~

My BA'S are from the feed store and I would never think of eating them. I would certainly pay for your castaways, especially if you live anywhere near Sacramento to Placerville. There will be no meat, foul, or fish eating in Heaven.

Back
Top Bottom