Australorps breed Thread

Can you show us Newbys what a cushion looks like ?
I cant see any difference in those 3 pics Matt posted ..they all look the same to me ..

The 3 pics that Matt posted did not have cushions, that is what confused you. The first pic of Bella that Dee posted is what we were talking about as having too much cushion. The cushion is very common in a lot of american BA's and that is what we are trying to correct. Trying to compare our BA's to Austrailian BA's is sometimes futile because our SOP pics don't even match their pics. In my minds eye they have shorter backs and lower tails than ours and seem more curvier if that makes any sense. Just my opinion.

Dan,
You are right about the tail angle. SOP calls for a 40 degree angle from the line of the back, not a horizontal line from the ground. So the majority of BA's you see have too much of a tail angle to breed or show unless the breeder has been working on that.
Kurt

The 3 pics that Matt posted did not have cushions, that is what confused you. The first pic of Bella that Dee posted is what we were talking about as having too much cushion. The cushion is very common in a lot of american BA's and that is what we are trying to correct. Trying to compare our BA's to Austrailian BA's is sometimes futile because our SOP pics don't even match their pics. In my minds eye they have shorter backs and lower tails than ours and seem more curvier if that makes any sense. Just my opinion.

Dan,
You are right about the tail angle. SOP calls for a 40 degree angle from the line of the back, not a horizontal line from the ground. So the majority of BA's you see have too much of a tail angle to breed or show unless the breeder has been working on that.
Kurt
Thanks Kurt! I appreciate the info! Trying to learn what I can.

Dan

there was a discussion on Heritage Large Fowl thread about cushions and what I got from the discussion was if you eliminate the cushion you also are likely to eliminate the broody trait.

When I am picking my breeder hens, this is the body type I look for whether Black, Blue, or Splash,with the exception that their chests are flat and should be a rounder bottom line. The hard part is to have a 3 year old hen look this good.

Last edited:
Thanks Vickie,
That should answer any question about cushions!!! I think there was some TURKEY mixed into that English Buff Orp!!!

They are both by the same cock bird, Monty. bred to an English hen, and a SOP hen.The English/ Cochin infused blood does a great job of obliterating the Rock characteristics added to Orps. You ought to feel the keels on these girls. They were just 5 months old in these photos.The 1/2 English pullet, The Brat, has made a huge hen.Some visitors think they are golden turkeys ! LOL !

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom