Australorps breed Thread

They are very happy too!

This is my first year raising chickens, so I have been learning the differences in the breeds. But even through the Australorps shyness, they do seem happy! I'm just glad I decided to get two of their breed since they hold onto one another so close. :highfive:

That's why I feel so guilty about rehoming one of my roos. They are always together, even at night. I just hope the roo, Pepper, that I'm keeping will adjust ok. I know he's going to be pretty lonely for awhile until he grows a bit more (he's just turning 5 months) and is accepted my flock. They've been getting a lot better but a couple of the young sex-links still chase them around and they haven't gone up on the roost with them yet.

This is my first year raising chickens, so I have been learning the differences in the breeds. But even through the Australorps shyness, they do seem happy! I'm just glad I decided to get two of their breed since they hold onto one another so close.
highfive.gif

Mine are best buds...I love to watch them waddle around the yard in a pack.

Last edited:
That's why I feel so guilty about rehoming one of my roos. They are always together, even at night. I just hope the roo, Pepper, that I'm keeping will adjust ok. I know he's going to be pretty lonely for awhile until he grows a bit more (he's just turning 5 months) and is accepted my flock. They've been getting a lot better but a couple of the young sex-links still chase them around and they haven't gone up on the roost with them yet.
Can you get close to him? I mean, will he physically let you get close? I don't know how healthy it would be for him, but maybe if you become a flock friend to him, maybe he won't be so lonely-instead he'd look forward to you presence and get excited seeing you. ...In the same way, I worry about my larger Ameraucana who IS at the bottom of the flock. She just seems lonely, wandering alone and most times being chased by the others. (Once in a while she will get guts to chase someone back, but it's a never ending chase between them when that happens.) But no matter how patient I am, how calm I am, she will NOT warm up to me. So I don't know if that's a possibility for you to warm up to Pepper; I mean, maybe you already did... Hmmm. But no matter what, I'm hoping the best for him!
wee.gif

Can you get close to him? I mean, will he physically let you get close? I don't know how healthy it would be for him, but maybe if you become a flock friend to him, maybe he won't be so lonely-instead he'd look forward to you presence and get excited seeing you. ...In the same way, I worry about my larger Ameraucana who IS at the bottom of the flock. She just seems lonely, wandering alone and most times being chased by the others. (Once in a while she will get guts to chase someone back, but it's a never ending chase between them when that happens.) But no matter how patient I am, how calm I am, she will NOT warm up to me. So I don't know if that's a possibility for you to warm up to Pepper; I mean, maybe you already did... Hmmm. But no matter what, I'm hoping the best for him! :weee  

Thank you for the good wishes. Actually, even though shy, he is more friendly than the other one and Will actually take an occasional treat from my hand and if I corner him he will let me pick him up.

Quote:
LOL Sounds friendly.
wink.png

I began making it my habit to wear gloves while hand feeding my Aussies because Bella has always been a "grabber, food hog type eater". How's that for a description? hee hee She has nipped my finger many times and pulls on the glove finger at times stretching it a bit before realizing it isn't edible. She is a master at taking food from my other girls as she is very quick to gulp down everything whereas the others pause to investigate before proceeding to eat. We especially find it humorous as we have two dogs that display the exact same differences in behavior. Both our dog and bird "food hogs" have a more stout body type as well interesting enough to us.

Did you ever hear about the weight of your 28 week old Aussies lineage? Because I know you know the standard size of an Aussie should be around 6.5 LB. Actually knowing that made them a more desirable choice for me. My Barr Rocks were at least 7 LBs so I knew I would not mind a slightly smaller bird. I have not weighed mine but they visually look larger than my old girl Barr Rock. But right now she is just finishing her molting and like I said is old so looks a bit withered to say the least. Poor thing. These cold foggy days for days on end have not been kind to her. Anyway, I don't have an accurate scale now but I am somewhat surprised how large my Aussies have become. I really do wish I could weigh Bella.

BTW, Peppa chased me away from cleaning the coop this AM (charging & loudly squawking at me) because she wanted to lay her egg in the nest in privacy I believe. After I left I looked back and she went back inside. I have never experienced this before and wonder what you think. What is the best way to react? I want her to lay eggs in peace so I left but am I setting myself up for "bad girl behavior"? LOL

Take care.
~Dee~

Quote: Thank you for the good wishes. Actually, even though shy, he is more friendly than the other one and Will actually take an occasional treat from my hand and if I corner him he will let me pick him up.

Glad you have found solutions to your situation. Good on you! With time the chickens work things out usually it seems to me. I always feel so bad for the under dog and spend more time and slip an extra special treat to her. If done on a regular basis they will eventually understand you doing it and come more freely to you. Then hang out with you to get more too.
wink.png
Consistency is the key. Last summer they all knew my routine of knocking insects off the overhead netting for them to eat for example so they were ready and waiting everyday. LOL ~Dee~

My two Australorp girls. :) They rarely leave each other's side, even when it comes to dust bathing. Lol

That pic is very cute! Reminds me of my two as they hang tight too. Except when one is in the nest than the one left behind hangs out with my old girl Barr Rock. Which is nice so she gets some chummy company too. Anyway, I love the look of the green leaves around your beautiful black aussie's feathers. Very special. ~Dee~

LOL Sounds friendly.
wink.png

I began making it my habit to wear gloves while hand feeding my Aussies because Bella has always been a "grabber, food hog type eater". How's that for a description? hee hee She has nipped my finger many times and pulls on the glove finger at times stretching it a bit before realizing it isn't edible. She is a master at taking food from my other girls as she is very quick to gulp down everything whereas the others pause to investigate before proceeding to eat. We especially find it humorous as we have two dogs that display the exact same differences in behavior. Both our dog and bird "food hogs" have a more stout body type as well interesting enough to us.

Did you ever hear about the weight of your 28 week old Aussies lineage? Because I know you know the standard size of an Aussie should be around 6.5 LB. Actually knowing that made them a more desirable choice for me. My Barr Rocks were at least 7 LBs so I knew I would not mind a slightly smaller bird. I have not weighed mine but they visually look larger than my old girl Barr Rock. But right now she is just finishing her molting and like I said is old so looks a bit withered to say the least. Poor thing. These cold foggy days for days on end have not been kind to her. Anyway, I don't have an accurate scale now but I am somewhat surprised how large my Aussies have become. I really do wish I could weigh Bella.

BTW, Peppa chased me away from cleaning the coop this AM (charging & loudly squawking at me) because she wanted to lay her egg in the nest in privacy I believe. After I left I looked back and she went back inside. I have never experienced this before and wonder what you think. What is the best way to react? I want her to lay eggs in peace so I left but am I setting myself up for "bad girl behavior"? LOL

Take care.
~Dee~
Peppa sounds like a Character!

When a hen needs to lay I do not hinder them. They are always nicer after finishing the egg laying chore.

Back
Top Bottom