Australorps breed Thread

Question:

I have one little Black Australorp pullet/hen that is about 7 months old and just started laying a few weeks ago. She is a very sweet little girl and normally doesn't make a peep. But for about the last week or so she has been sqwaking like crazy when she lays...then she hangs out in the hen house for a good while after....even after I removed her egg, she went and sat back in the laying box for quite a while...I thought she might be going broody so I set her egg back....nope....still sqwaks though...louder than my roo crows!

Is this normal for Australorps or a sign of something? I think it's quite cute. Just wondering...
It could be a sign that she might go broody later.

Often, they just need to settle into the routine of laying eggs. It does take a month or so.

Gramma Chick, I had originally intended to leave him in with the girls, however, he seems a bit rough on the girls' feathers. He's a year old, and right now is in hormonal overdrive, and I'm not really sure how experienced he is at breeding. It may improve with a little time, and experience. I won't let him get the girls too raggedy looking though. I can easily arrange a nice bachelor pad, and give the girls a break, if and when I need to. I'll wait and see what happens. I'm not rushing into anything. I am new to Australorps, so I want to get to know the breed, the individual characteristics of each of the chickens, and their dynamics as a flock much better than I do now. I also have to develop an "eye" for this breed, so I will better recognize the SOP for my breeding program. I may not be saying these thing just right, but I think you get the jist of what I'm trying to convey.

Yes I do ...Some Roosters also have a favorite ( one who submitts easily ) or a hen they dont like ( that they use their spurs more on )
My BA Roo hates this hen
He will chase her away from food & peck her ...however not enough that he doesnt mate her .

So I have to check her once in a while

Question:

I have one little Black Australorp pullet/hen that is about 7 months old and just started laying a few weeks ago.   She is a very sweet little girl and normally doesn't make a peep.  But for about the last week or so she has been sqwaking like crazy when she lays...then she hangs out in the hen house for a good while after....even after I removed her egg, she went and sat back in the laying box for quite a while...I thought she might be going broody so I set her egg back....nope....still sqwaks though...louder than my roo crows!

Is this normal for Australorps or a sign of something?  I think it's quite cute.  Just wondering...

Some hens are also show offs and like to brag about their latest accomplishment. ;)

8isenuff,
The squawking is perfectly normal. When you pay attention to the girls it goes like this. I am thinking about laying an egg! Squawking
I just laid an egg!
Squawking
Or she just laid an egg!
Squawking
This is what is called the Egg Song.

By the way, is 8 enuff kids or chickens because I guarantee you will get chicken fever also known as chicken math and have a lot more than 8 chickens!

Kurt

Last edited:
Yes I do ...Some Roosters also have a favorite ( one who submitts easily ) or a hen they dont like ( that they use their spurs more on )
My BA Roo hates this hen
He will chase her away from food & peck her ...however not enough that he doesnt mate her .

So I have to check her once in a while
That poor hen needs a hen saddle ! All my big Buff Orp girls wear one to prevent cock birds from gaffing them.Lots of people on BYC make them.The ones with sliding elastic stay on the best.
It is actually the cock bird's toenails that do the damage. A pedicure would prevent some of that too.Cut, then file those toenails.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom