Australorps breed Thread

My blue Australorp from Hupp Farms is Broody! I also have a Splash Barneveldner that has done the same. They are both so big, they could cover a lot of eggs....

I HAVE BABIES!!!!

This pic isn't very good but they just arrived and I didn't want to harass them too much.

They arrived in great shape despite the horrible cold weather (we set a new snow record again yesterday, whoopee) The post office said they had never seen chicks arrive in such high quality packaging! The heat pack in their box was still even warm!!!

Other good news! Just a few minutes ago I got a call from a very nice gentleman that wants Max for his mom's little flock! She has been wanting a roo for her ladies and saw Max's pic and fell in love. ( I had just re-posted him on the local Craig's list last night hoping to find him a good home). He is just too large for the little hens I have now and he was beginning to do real harm. Really made my DH happy with the news. He definitely is not a fan of Roos.
roll.png
I feel so good knowing he is going to a good home.

I HAVE BABIES!!!!

This pic isn't very good but they just arrived and I didn't want to harass them too much.

They arrived in great shape despite the horrible cold weather (we set a new snow record again yesterday, whoopee) The post office said they had never seen chicks arrive in such high quality packaging! The heat pack in their box was still even warm!!!

Other good news! Just a few minutes ago I got a call from a very nice gentleman that wants Max for his mom's little flock! She has been wanting a roo for her ladies and saw Max's pic and fell in love. ( I had just re-posted him on the local Craig's list last night hoping to find him a good home). He is just too large for the little hens I have now and he was beginning to do real harm. Really made my DH happy with the news. He definitely is not a fan of Roos.
roll.png
I feel so good knowing he is going to a good home.
They did make it very nicely!

Where did you get them?

I'm new to raising chicks and wanted to start out with 6 total. I got 1 black Australorp, and she's adorable! Jasmine is 7 weeks old now. She was the smallest chick out of all the chicks I got that day and she's still small. She's definitely growing, but she seems like the outsider of the group, not growing at the same rate and not always doing what the others are doing. She was the last one of the group to grow in her big girl feathers. She's very sweet and if she gets separated from the other girls outside she chirps really loud. Here's some pics!

1 week old

6 weeks old

I'm new to raising chicks and wanted to start out with 6 total. I got 1 black Australorp, and she's adorable! Jasmine is 7 weeks old now. She was the smallest chick out of all the chicks I got that day and she's still small. She's definitely growing, but she seems like the outsider of the group, not growing at the same rate and not always doing what the others are doing. She was the last one of the group to grow in her big girl feathers. She's very sweet and if she gets separated from the other girls outside she chirps really loud. Here's some pics!

1 week old

6 weeks old
She looks like she is doing fine so far. She will get much bigger. If she is from a hatchery, she will not get as big as a Breeder Australorp.

She will likely catch up and may pass the others in size by 25 weeks old or so. Are they getting at least 20% protein? They should be on flock raiser type feed now.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ok great, thanks! She doesn't seem sick or anything, she's just smaller and isn't growing as fast as the other chicks. It probably has to do with the breed since the other 5 chicks are all different breeds. Yeah, I believe they are getting 20% protein, I have them on the Dumor chick starter. At what age do I switch them to the grower feed? I think I read 8 weeks.

I put my chicks on Purina Game Bird Starter. I believe it is 30% protein. You can tell a difference!

Dan

Back
Top Bottom