Australorps breed Thread

I put my chicks on Purina Game Bird Starter. I believe it is 30% protein. You can tell a difference!

Dan
good thought Dan! I have a couplr questions. First, would that push a laying hen to grow too fast? second, was this involved with the recall?
Thank you in advance if the first question is dumb, I am a very eager "student".

Love these pictures. Of the 45 chicks I have coming next Wednesday 20 are Australorps (15 pullets and 5 cockerals). While the hatchery quality might not look quite as good as these (I will worry about breeding later in the future), I am still excited to make them the primary breed in my flock. They are beautiful birds.

Love these pictures. Of the 45 chicks I have coming next Wednesday 20 are Australorps (15 pullets and 5 cockerals). While the hatchery quality might not look quite as good as these (I will worry about breeding later in the future), I am still excited to make them the primary breed in my flock. They are beautiful birds.

You are so correct about them being beautiful! They are also very smart too.

Enjoy them!

good thought Dan! I have a couplr questions. First, would that push a laying hen to grow too fast? second, was this involved with the recall?
Thank you in advance if the first question is dumb, I am a very eager "student".

I don't know anything about a recall but the Purina Game Bird Starter has been great for me for the first few months of the chicks growing. It gives them a high protein feed for the tremendous growth they are trying to achieve those first several months, and also a source of animal protein which IMO is great for them.

Dan

Hmm, interesting. I didn't realize Game Bird was part of it. Thankfully, mine's a different lot number, although it would have been nice to get a free bag of feed.
wink.png

The recall was from Purina mills in Washington and Oregon. Arizona and Florida would be fine. It does not hurt to check the lot numbers though.

It would not have affected me either. I had 21 Australorp chicks last year & raised them all. This year I have 21 that are 3 weeks old & so far so good! It is a little more $$ but IMO well worth the extra cost.

Dan

Stan, I set my Breeding pens up a couple of months ago. One with the TC Boy, and 2 with the 2 Gilbert boys I kept. I have never had either one of the 2 Gilbert boys show me any aggression, and I routinely just reach down and pet them. The TC Boy is a different story. I have to keep an eye on him and even then he has come at me face on. If I turn my back on him it is a given he is gonna flog me. For a while I would just grab him, and pick him up while I petted and talked to him. It never seemed to change anything.
I just hatched chicks out of all 3 pens 2 weeks ago, and leg tagged all of them. I am not sure what this means but as chicks his offspring is easy for me to identify even without looking at leg tags, their down, percentage wise is much more Black than my Straight Gilbert chicks. It will be interesting to see how they grow out. On the TC boy I really liked his body type, comb not so much and since it got frostbite this winter it really looks weird.

Dan

Stan? Kurt? Anyone? Have any comments about the fact that my TC boy is throwing chicks with much blacker down. Does it mean anything you think? or really means nothing? Opinions? Comments? or Guesses are welcome.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom