Australorps breed Thread

Here is our roo now at 8weeks. He no longer has crazy down poking out all over. He does however have one big waddle and one small one, lol.

Here is our roo now at 8weeks. He no longer has crazy down poking out all over. He does however have one big waddle and one small one, lol.
He's a handsome fella! I'm raising my 4 BA chick pullets...wait....I think it's now 3 pullets and 1 ROO!! Can't be for sure just yet (they're 4-1/2 weeks now) but he's showing strong tendencies...pushing and chest pumping, stretching of the neck and just today I'm seeing his comb more pronounced over the other three...hmmmm...me thinks I have 3 girls and 1 ROO!!
he.gif
But that's okay because I only will have 4 total, and it might be kinda neat with a roo for the other three, as BA's really like to turn broody!

Ok great, thanks! She doesn't seem sick or anything, she's just smaller and isn't growing as fast as the other chicks. It probably has to do with the breed since the other 5 chicks are all different breeds. Yeah, I believe they are getting 20% protein, I have them on the Dumor chick starter. At what age do I switch them to the grower feed? I think I read 8 weeks.

Welcome to BYC and the BA thread. Ron knows chickens and he is very helpful.

I don't know anything about a recall but the Purina Game Bird Starter has been great for me for the first few months of the chicks growing. It gives them a high protein feed for the tremendous growth they are trying to achieve those first several months, and also a source of animal protein which IMO is great for them.

Dan

I read about it. It was about the mix chick starter and Flock Raiser were not in the recall. The recall was for certain lots.

Byron.

Welcome to BYC. Tractor Supply carries Purina.

That is True! I bought a few bags there, but ended up finding a local Feed store that handles Purina and they are a couple of $ cheaper per bag and they don't charge sales tax. Not sure how they do that. For instance the Purina Layena Plus is $15.99 plus tax @ TSC and at my local feedstore it is $14.50 no additional tax. The TSC in my area has never carried to Purina Game Bird feeds.

Dan

That is True! I bought a few bags there, but ended up finding a local Feed store that handles Purina and they are a couple of $ cheaper per bag and they don't charge sales tax. Not sure how they do that. For instance the Purina Layena Plus is $15.99 plus tax @ TSC and at my local feedstore it is $14.50 no additional tax. The TSC in my area has never carried to Purina Game Bird feeds.

Dan

Chicken feed is not taxable in California. TSC does not charge tax when I buy feed from them.

It great to find feed for a good price!

Now I've heard it all! DH, who is experienced with dogs and cats, has repeatedly informed me how I'm mean, and cruel to my 3 week old chicks. They sleep with their necks stretched out, and propped up on the feeder rim. According to him, that's mean. Yeah, I'll get right on it, building them little beds, and pillows to rest their heads on (sarcasm).

Now I've heard it all! DH, who is experienced with dogs and cats, has repeatedly informed me how I'm mean, and cruel to my 3 week old chicks. They sleep with their necks stretched out, and propped up on the feeder rim. According to him, that's mean. Yeah, I'll get right on it, building them little beds, and pillows to rest their heads on (sarcasm).

That is so funny!

One thing you could do is add a perch for them. I have a 1/2 dowel in one of my rubber made brooders and they love it!

Back
Top Bottom