Australorps breed Thread

Thank you everyone for your concern and support. 20 days ago I put some aussie eggs under a broody game and today I have 5-6 chicks. They are textbook aussies and i expect more hatchlings to come in the next 24 hours. I have come to the conclusion that the feed just wasn't working for my hens. I have switched to a super layer 22percent and all are putting on weight and laying and peppy. I will post pics as soon as I can.

I guess its about time I joined in on this thread
big_smile.png

I haven't had loads of luck with Australorps, but I think my luck is starting to turn around now! I originally wanted 6 Australorp chicks from a breeder, however when i arrived they only had two, so I took those two. One of them died within 24 hours (don't know why) and the other one ended up being a rooster. I've just had the rooster replaced with a 10 week old Australorp girl today
smile.png

A while ago, my Auntie gave me her last hen, who I am assuming is an Australorp. I'd say she is 2-3 years old at a guess. She's a bit nervous but seems to be settling in well, she does get picked on a bit though.

I was wondering if she looks pure to you guys? I'm new to the breed, but to me she looks like a pure aussie. What are Australorp eggs normally like? I read that they are quite large and brown in colour... well this girls eggs are quite small and are a cream colour...

Okay so in this picture is my hand to show comparison. Left to right there is an egg from one of my dad's production cross breeds, an egg from a light sussex, an egg from my new older Australorp and lastly an egg from one of my tiny little x breed girls.

This is the new little girl I got in replacement for the rooster today, she's adorable :)

Here's my older hen, she's really beautiful. Do you guys think she's pure?

And just cos I can, here is the rooster that the breeder took back today. He was a nice looking boy!

Last edited:
I guess its about time I joined in on this thread
big_smile.png

I haven't had loads of luck with Australorps, but I think my luck is starting to turn around now! I originally wanted 6 Australorp chicks from a breeder, however when i arrived they only had two, so I took those two. One of them died within 24 hours (don't know why) and the other one ended up being a rooster. I've just had the rooster replaced with a 10 week old Australorp girl today
smile.png

A while ago, my Auntie gave me her last hen, who I am assuming is an Australorp. I'd say she is 2-3 years old at a guess. She's a bit nervous but seems to be settling in well, she does get picked on a bit though.

I was wondering if she looks pure to you guys? I'm new to the breed, but to me she looks like a pure aussie. What are Australorp eggs normally like? I read that they are quite large and brown in colour... well this girls eggs are quite small and are a cream colour...

Okay so in this picture is my hand to show comparison. Left to right there is an egg from one of my dad's production cross breeds, an egg from a light sussex, an egg from my new older Australorp and lastly an egg from one of my tiny little x breed girls.

This is the new little girl I got in replacement for the rooster today, she's adorable :)

Here's my older hen, she's really beautiful. Do you guys think she's pure?

And just cos I can, here is the rooster that the breeder took back today. He was a nice looking boy!

They look australian?

Very nice!

Well I am from Australia
wink.png

Do Australian Australorps look different to ones in other countries?

They look a lot better and the Australian standard is different from the American standard.

Yes, yours look like nice australian austarlorps.

Many of us here in the states would love to have some of your lorps. Sadly, Australia, the country makes it nearly impossible to get them legally.

They look a lot better and the Australian standard is different from the American standard.

Yes, yours look like nice australian austarlorps.

Many of us here in the states would love to have some of your lorps. Sadly, Australia, the country makes it nearly impossible to get them legally.
Thats very interesting. May I ask what the main differences between the two standards are?
Shame about the import/export laws... They do it for a good reason though I guess. Australia does tend to be a bit strict though.

@maddogdodge Your older hen is stunning!! And her eggs are very nice too with the marbling.
PS Glad to see you are having rain where you are.
Thanks, I can't stop looking at her, she's so lovely :) My auntie reckons she has the potential to be a good broody mum too!

Her egg isn't marbled, thats just mud/poo that i hadn't cleaned off yet ... she laid it in the yard instead of a nest... Because I only put her in this yard today, she's still figuring out where everything is.

Spring just started for us the other day (still feels like winter though), and because i'm in Victoria (down the bottom of Aus) it rains almost every day during winter and half of spring. I end up getting really sick of the rain in winter... and then i wish it would come back in summer
lol.png

I guess its about time I joined in on this thread :D I haven't had loads of luck with Australorps, but I think my luck is starting to turn around now! I originally wanted 6 Australorp chicks from a breeder, however when i arrived they only had two, so I took those two. One of them died within 24 hours (don't know why) and the other one ended up being a rooster. I've just had the rooster replaced with a 10 week old Australorp girl today :) A while ago, my Auntie gave me her last hen, who I am assuming is an Australorp. I'd say she is 2-3 years old at a guess. She's a bit nervous but seems to be settling in well, she does get picked on a bit though. I was wondering if she looks pure to you guys? I'm new to the breed, but to me she looks like a pure aussie. What are Australorp eggs normally like? I read that they are quite large and brown in colour... well this girls eggs are quite small and are a cream colour... Okay so in this picture is my hand to show comparison. Left to right there is an egg from one of my dad's production cross breeds, an egg from a light sussex, an egg from my new older Australorp and lastly an egg from one of my tiny little x breed girls. This is the new little girl I got in replacement for the rooster today, she's adorable :) Here's my older hen, she's really beautiful. Do you guys think she's pure? And just cos I can, here is the rooster that the breeder took back today. He was a nice looking boy!
Hi all! New to the thread and Australorps, but I've always lived them. Agreed, your older girl is stunning! The main difference I can see with Australian/American Australorps is that the Australian tend to be a fuller chicken. They look closer to a Cochin to me. I would love to get my hands on one! I just got my first Australorps three weeks ago from a hatchery, along with 3 other breeds (Golden Laced Wyandotte, Red Stars, and Salmon Favorelles), my Australorps are my favorite. By far the friendliest. Can't wait to see how they turn out!

Hi all! New to the thread and Australorps, but I've always lived them.
Agreed, your older girl is stunning! The main difference I can see with Australian/American Australorps is that the Australian tend to be a fuller chicken. They look closer to a Cochin to me. I would love to get my hands on one!
I just got my first Australorps three weeks ago from a hatchery, along with 3 other breeds (Golden Laced Wyandotte, Red Stars, and Salmon Favorelles), my Australorps are my favorite. By far the friendliest. Can't wait to see how they turn out!

Funny you say that they remind you of Cochins. As well as my new pure Australorp chick, today I also got a 10 week old Australorp cross Cochin. So excited to see what she looks like when she's grown up :D

Back
Top Bottom