Australorps breed Thread

Aussies, 'Lorps, Australorps, BA's, Lorpy girls.... Yep, that's what I mean!

Cute little ones you have there! I count 14, am I close? Is it a current pic? Is this your first experience with the breed?

I bet she will be beautiful! I love the full look of Cochins!
Thanks
smile.png
I agree, she's going to be really gorgeous. I have no experience with Cochin's... hadn't even heard of them until the breeder offered this girl to me. She's already got some feathers coming in on her feet.

Aw!we are raising black Australorp females right now.I'm exiting about the breed and looking forwarding to hatching eggs from our Rhode Island Red roo I'm assuming the hens will be mostly black.anyone have a Black Australorp RIR cross?

they are only 7weeks now so it will be a while.I've had my RIR Roo for 2years now and he is the BEST eater in our freeranging flock...if he could lay eggs they would have superbly dark orange yolks.he may be part rabbit
1f609.png

We had a setback today. I went out of town to say goodbye to my Grandma, whose health is declining. I got a message on my way home that the neighbor/co-owner of our meat birds moved the Cornish X from the brooder to the grow out pen, and all 25 of them were killed. Probably by my own dog, but she hadn't secured it very well, she thought chicken wire was enough to keep him out, and it was pretty loose at that. I'm glad it wasn't my Aussie girls, but I'm still disappointed. Now that he's had a taste for chickens, I worry that the larger birds may be at risk as well. We are going to build a fenced yard area around the back door for him, but also secure the grow out pen in case it wasn't him, or if he gets out of the fencing we put up.

My girls are a week old now, and I could really tell a difference when I got home. They have little tails now, and more feathering on their wings than I noticed yesterday.

I'm so sorry. I wish I could convince my husband that chicken wire is not enough. I bought the hardware cloth. I can't use a hammer but I am so tempted to beg my brother to help me. I have even tried to point out how much money I have out there in those pens. You'd think that would help. He just thinks I'm silly and no dog or possum or raccoon could get through that chicken wire.

I'm so sorry. I wish I could convince my husband that chicken wire is not enough. I bought the hardware cloth. I can't use a hammer but I am so tempted to beg my brother to help me. I have even tried to point out how much money I have out there in those pens. You'd think that would help. He just thinks I'm silly and no dog or possum or raccoon could get through that chicken wire.

Attach it using screws, washers and a good drill.

It is important to keep the coop secure.

tn, I too didn't know how to hammer in staples when I converted a large horse stall into my first coop, so I used washers, and screws. When we built my second coop, I watched DH when he hammered in some staples. When he got tired, I gave it a go. My first attempts were clumsy, it felt awkward, and I was slow at it, but it wasn't long before I got the hang of it.

Yes, predators can get through chicken wire. Don't forget a pen skirt too. That is very important.

I just had decision with friends about poultry wire.it was actually intended to keep birds out of gardens NOT to protect them from predators...hardware cloth can hold my 5month old German Shepard x INSIDE our chicken tractor lol there are times when our chicks are out I lock him in

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom