Australorps breed Thread

I was wondering if it's possible that my Australorp laid these eggs? These are my first two eggs. One from today and one from yesterday.
I'm thinking that she's too young and her comb is too small. What colored eggs do your Australorps lay?

The bigger one is from today. Ignore the white egg...it's not from my chickens.
I think the layer is probably my Brown sex link because her comb looks a little paler then before and I think her vent looks bigger and her pelvic bones feel the widest of all my chickens. The only other chicken that could have laid the eggs is my Black sex link and Australorp. I want to know if I can totally cross off my Australorp off the list?
They are 20 weeks and a couple days.
My Brown sex link

Australorp

Black sex link

While australorps can lay eggs that color, it is most likely from the red star. The Black star will be next and the Australorp at 22 to 25 weeks old.

Congratulations!

They are very nice!
Thanks! I have been trying not to get my expectations too high, after everything I've read about hatchery birds not being up to par, but I'm really happy with them. Dorothy is really friendly, she's the one in front in the top pic. The other two I've been wondering if they might be roos, since my neighbor vent sexed them as such, but wouldn't they start looking a little more masculine by 4 weeks? I'm still hoping they are all girls, I could really use the eggs in the spring.

Thanks! I have been trying not to get my expectations too high, after everything I've read about hatchery birds not being up to par, but I'm really happy with them. Dorothy is really friendly, she's the one in front in the top pic. The other two I've been wondering if they might be roos, since my neighbor vent sexed them as such, but wouldn't they start looking a little more masculine by 4 weeks? I'm still hoping they are all girls, I could really use the eggs in the spring.

They certainly are cute!!

On that subject, how easy does everyone find it to get takers for good australorps you don't need, especially boys? Is there a good demand or just the same as any barnyard mix?

I am hoping having bought from good quality stock it will be easier but perhaps I'm kidding myself. Oh and this is for those who don't just eat their extras.

Last edited:
LightChick...Your pullets are old enough and while my Australorps often layed lighter colored eggs, the ones in your picture could very easily have come from your Australorps. They are supreme layers.

Turk

They certainly are cute!!

On that subject, how easy does everyone find it to get takers for good australorps you don't need, especially boys? Is there a good demand or just the same as any barnyard mix?

I am hoping having bought from good quality stock it will be easier but perhaps I'm kidding myself. Oh and this is for those who don't just eat their extras.

I WOULD LOVE some of your "extras" - there are other peeps in NorCal that would also line up for them. Unfortunately, you can't export them. :(.
Australorps are such sweeties, it seems like they would be popular over in Aussie-land, too.
Hope you have a good hatch! I'm looking forward to seeing baby pics!

I love my 16week old Austrolorps pullets Lacy and Macy!

Back
Top Bottom