Australorps breed Thread

Well, that makes a lot of you telling me my friendly pullet is a friendly cockerel . Should I wait longer ? I have our rooster and I don't want them fighting it out. When they free range they pay no mind to each other but are kept in separate coops. Thank you everyone ! I did have my suspicions just didn't want to believe it:(..
Yes, wait a while.

We could all be wrong.

It depends on the individual cockerels temperament as to how well he will get along with others. He may be just fine.

10 hens, 3 bantams who will stay in a separate coop. Oreo is just sooo sweet ! I keep him with chicken little because I purchased them at the same time. I was already feeling guilty separating them in the future cause they are so darn cute together! Oh I would buy every chicken in this state if I had the room:). My husband and kids are already telling me stop bringing new chickens home. Then I'll catch my husband sneaking out at night to pet them or holding them with treats during day.

Well, that makes a lot of you telling me my friendly pullet is a friendly cockerel . Should I wait longer ? I have our rooster and I don't want them fighting it out. When they free range they pay no mind to each other but are kept in separate coops. Thank you everyone ! I did have my suspicions just didn't want to believe it:(..
If you put the roosters together now they aren't likely to start fighting since there's such a age difference
smile.png

Oreo is big enough. Will the hens beat him up? The last three I put in the big coop had about 3 weeks of a hard time. Of course my Lucy ( barred rock) is quite a bossy lady:) I'm finishing up the bantam coop so I'll give it a try:) during the weekend while I can supervise.

Hello fellow Australorp owners!

I'm a first time chick raiser and my one week old Blue Australorp has just started developing a line of white feathers on its legs.

Right Leg (Has more feathers than the left)

Left Leg

Both Legs

Is this normal for an Australorp? Or does this mean I either got an Australorp x or there is something wrong with my chick?

Looks like you got a mixed breed. Sometimes breeders will cross anything blue into Australorps to get the blue genes. I have been working on a project with blue Orpingtons and will have blue Australorps in a few generations from that cross, and found a line of Taylor farms blue Australorps I'm hatching out. At least with Orpingtons, they were used to develop the Australorps to begin with. But no, Australorps never have feathered legs. I think Marans do, and so do Cochins. Sorry, you have mixed breed chicks :(

Oreo is big enough. Will the hens beat him up? The last three I put in the big coop had about 3 weeks of a hard time. Of course my Lucy ( barred rock) is quite a bossy lady:) I'm finishing up the bantam coop so I'll give it a try:) during the weekend while I can supervise.

If Oreo is mature, he may take over as the boss and be fine. Otherwise, he may be beat up. Putting one into a group of established chickens is a gamble.

Looks like you got a mixed breed. Sometimes breeders will cross anything blue into Australorps to get the blue genes. I have been working on a project with blue Orpingtons and will have blue Australorps in a few generations from that cross, and found a line of Taylor farms blue Australorps I'm hatching out. At least with Orpingtons, they were used to develop the Australorps to begin with. But no, Australorps never have feathered legs. I think Marans do, and so do Cochins. Sorry, you have mixed breed chicks :(
Blue Aussie, my dream bird
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom