Australorps breed Thread

Oh no, there are. It's just very hard to find. There is a line from Taylor farms I located but the quality of what I've hatched isn't up to my standard of what I would sell on byc just yet. I'm looking for show quality black Aussies to breed to the blues I've hatched from this breeder, and maybe in a few generations I'll have those offspring and the offspring from my other project to sell. But there are other breeders who already have awesome BBS Aussies in the states. There is just a waiting list!

Thanks. Interesting read. Sounds like a big job ahead of them.

Sadly no blue australorps here either, set my shipped eggs Friday night 3 weeks ago and it's now Monday morning and still nothing happening under my broody. Haven't given up hope but it's getting harder to stay positive. I saw one move about Thursday and they had all developed at my last candle so not sure what to think.

Last edited:
Looks like you got a mixed breed. Sometimes breeders will cross anything blue into Australorps to get the blue genes. Australorps never have feathered legs.

Thanks for your insight tnmommy. Looks like I'll need to be making a phone call to the breeder I purchased this chick from..

On the plus side, the chick seems to be happy and is definitely giving the older bigger chicks a run for their money for top of the pecking order, so at least there's unlikely to be anything wrong with it health wise.

Edit: Oops, I accidentally posted the same thing twice. I can't find a button that allows me to delete my own post so just ignore this comment and continue chatting about all this Australorp.

Last edited:
Oreo is big enough. Will the hens beat him up? The last three I put in the big coop had about 3 weeks of a hard time. Of course my Lucy ( barred rock) is quite a bossy lady:) I'm finishing up the bantam coop so I'll give it a try:) during the weekend while I can supervise.

they probably will put him him a night after the flock is asleep

One of my eggs finally hatched unassisted under my broody on day 24 and a quick peek shows we have a beautiful little splash australorp! The silkie surrogate mum wasn't allowing much in the way of photo opps so will have to share some later when she leaves the last couple of eggs.

Last edited:
If Oreo is mature, he may take over as the boss and be fine.  Otherwise, he may be beat up.  Putting one into a group of established chickens is a gamble.
Especially with the girls! My rock is super fun but super bossy ! I have 5 out of 10 girls I'm afraid will hurt him. He has been one of the sweetest chickens I have had. Thinking he was a hen I gave him lots of loves. I'm not saying I don't love my Roo I just want him to be a protector, watch out for the flock. Not wanting to be cuddled every day like some of my girls. I'm not sure what direction I will go. He is getting big enough. Actually as big as my GLW who is 1 month older. Or she's just small. Oh what to do
1f413.png
1f629.png

One of my eggs finally hatched unassisted under my broody on day 24 and a quick peek shows we have a beautiful little splash australorp! The silkie surrogate mum wasn't allowing much in the way of photo opps so will have to share some later when she leaves the last couple of eggs.
Aww, I'm sure he/she will be beautiful!!

Back
Top Bottom