Australorps breed Thread

This is emma

This is Oreo, the sweetest of the flock!!! I got her from the pullet bin. I had a 50/50 reply on the gender. Her comb grew quick but has stopped. Here are updated pictures. Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!
sorry for the double pics! My phone went wacky thanks again ! Fingers are crossed! Pulletttt . She's exactly 3 months old.

Last edited:
This is Oreo, the sweetest of the flock!!! I got her from the pullet bin. I had a 50/50 reply on the gender. Her comb grew quick but has stopped. Here are updated pictures. Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!sorry for the double pics! My phone went wacky thanks again ! Fingers are crossed! Pulletttt . She's exactly 3 months old.

She is very sweet looking for sure.

Congratulations!

Looking at all the photos posted in this thread makes me very excited to see how my four Australorps will look as they continue to grow and develop. They're 5 - 5 1/2 weeks old right now and just completed their first full week living outdoors in their coop. They've been a great source of entertainment for me already, having just discovered that they can fly all the way up to the top roost and nesting boxes. It was like watching children in a toy store!

Australorps were one of three breeds I chose to start my chicken adventure with after reading about how hardy, prolific, and sweet-tempered they are, and because they were originally bred in Australia. Living in the desert southwest, I thought a bird hardy enough for the heat and drought of Australia should prove well-suited to the Sonoran desert. So far, so good! (But I admit to checking them first thing every morning like a worried mother, hoping they are doing well.)

At what age do Australorps typically begin laying?

Looking at all the photos posted in this thread makes me very excited to see how my four Australorps will look as they continue to grow and develop. They're 5 - 5 1/2 weeks old right now and just completed their first full week living outdoors in their coop. They've been a great source of entertainment for me already, having just discovered that they can fly all the way up to the top roost and nesting boxes. It was like watching children in a toy store!

Australorps were one of three breeds I chose to start my chicken adventure with after reading about how hardy, prolific, and sweet-tempered they are, and because they were originally bred in Australia. Living in the desert southwest, I thought a bird hardy enough for the heat and drought of Australia should prove well-suited to the Sonoran desert. So far, so good! (But I admit to checking them first thing every morning like a worried mother, hoping they are doing well.)

At what age do Australorps typically begin laying?

I understand your desire for a heat-hardy chicken. :) They were my first choice for the Texas weather where I am. Blistering summers, wet-freeze winters... It's a nightmare! I feel you made a great choice.

Australorps start to lay around five to six months for hatchery birds. If you got them from a breeder, it may take a little longer... But have faith! Eventually, eggs DO come!!

MrsB

My five-week-old Australorps are all camera shy! LOL! I had to bribe them with meal worms to get them to stop running from the camera.
roll.png

They all like hanging out in the nesting boxes, especially at night when they huddle together to keep warm. I've read that that's a behavior I should try to stop lest they learned that nesting boxes are for sleeping rather than laying eggs, but I worry that doing so may result in them having a harder time staying warm at night (it's been around freezing every night here this week). Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom