Australorps breed Thread

Is it bad that I feel like Lennie from Of Mice and Men every time I get around/see pictures of baby chicks?

droolin.gif

MrsB

I need some super cute pictures of my Aussie boys before they hit freezer camp, which, unfortunately is probably going to be next week or so. They're getting testosterone and aggressive.

Question for you all - do you find your Aussies to be big jumpers/escape artists? I have a coop built and now it's time to build a run for my 3 girls and I'm trying to plan the best way for it. I'd like for it to be open topped so I can walk in there, clean, visit the girls, etc so I was thinking 3-4ft tall garden fencing and making a big pen out of it but I worry they'll just jump right over and either tear up my garden or, worse, try to hop the 5' fence into the neighbors yard. If I have to put a top on it, I'm thinking bird netting like one would put over a garden or fish pond, something I can remove to go in and clean then re-attach when they're roaming. Any thoughts? I know clipping wings is an option but I don't know how much that would curb jumping height

My Australorp did not fly over the fence ever. They are very smart and if something was wrong my Violet would follow me around squaking until I fixed it

If you do have problems with them flying over the fence you could clip their wings once and when they molt they will still think they won't be able to fly so they won't try it. Don't do this if you wan to show them though

Last edited:
Question for you all - do you find your Aussies to be big jumpers/escape artists? I have a coop built and now it's time to build a run for my 3 girls and I'm trying to plan the best way for it. I'd like for it to be open topped so I can walk in there, clean, visit the girls, etc so I was thinking 3-4ft tall garden fencing and making a big pen out of it but I worry they'll just jump right over and either tear up my garden or, worse, try to hop the 5' fence into the neighbors yard. If I have to put a top on it, I'm thinking bird netting like one would put over a garden or fish pond, something I can remove to go in and clean then re-attach when they're roaming. Any thoughts? I know clipping wings is an option but I don't know how much that would curb jumping height
If you clip wings it takes away their ability to go up and they will need a *stepping stool to get over a 4' fence.

*anything that is near the fence that they can jump on and then over.(in my case it was their waterer)

No. I have a blue marans that is a fence jumper and the Penedesencas of course but the lorps stay put

My Australorp did not fly over the fence ever. They are very smart and if something was wrong my Violet would follow me around squaking until I fixed it

If you do have problems with them flying over the fence you could clip their wings once and when they molt they will still think they won't be able to fly so they won't try it. Don't do this if you wan to show them though

One wing only

If you clip wings it takes away their ability to go up and they will need a *stepping stool to get over a 4' fence.

*anything that is near the fence that they can jump on and then over.(in my case it was their waterer)
There is a great guide on BYC for clipping wings.

Clipping one wing will cause them to go off balance. Clipping two wings will often not work because the can compensate and still fly. Most chickens do not simply fly over a fence, they jump over it and use their wings to keep them straight--gives them a bit of lift.

Back
Top Bottom