Australorps breed Thread

Maddog,
Your bantam Aussie's look awesome, conformation, coloring, combs, etc. The splash and the blues are exactly what they are supposed to look like, which I have patterned my large fowl to copy. We here in the US wish our large fowl standard bred looked that nice.
Kurt

Last edited:
Just wondering, at what age do pullet eggs become final egg size? Pepper has been laying about a month and we are getting 55-60g eggs from her. I'm just wondering at what age we will be getting her adult size eggs? I should know this as she is not our first chicken but I really didn't pay attention to it with the others.

Maddog,
Your bantam Aussie's look awesome, conformation, coloring, combs, etc. The splash and the blues are exactly what they are supposed to look like, which I have patterned my large fowl to copy. We here in the US wish our large fowl standard bred looked that nice.
Kurt
Thank you so much
big_smile.png

Just wondering, at what age do pullet eggs become final egg size? Pepper has been laying about a month and we are getting 55-60g eggs from her. I'm just wondering at what age we will be getting her adult size eggs? I should know this as she is not our first chicken but I really didn't pay attention to it with the others.
I actually don't know this either, would be interested to know the answer!

One of my girls has been laying for a couple of weeks and her eggs are around 30g.

chickens usually lay pullet eggs for a few months..I think around a year they get Lg egg size .
The eggs get bigger as they get older ...I have 2 - 3 year olds that lay ex large

chickens usually lay pullet eggs for a few months..I think around a year they get Lg egg size .
The eggs get bigger as they get older ...I have 2 - 3 year olds that lay ex large

That's interesting, hadn't realised they could keep getting bigger. That would explain the slightly larger than normal eggs I'm getting from my faverolle since she has started up again following her molt. This is her second year.

That's interesting, hadn't realised they could keep getting bigger. That would explain the slightly larger than normal eggs I'm getting from my faverolle since she has started up again following her molt. This is her second year.

Yes, the eggs get bigger after they molt. The egg white changes and becomes less stiff. We do not see the natural progression of eggs very often because most hens are culled after two years.

Eggs are amazing!

Yes, the eggs get bigger after they molt. The egg white changes and becomes less stiff. We do not see the natural progression of eggs very often because most hens are culled after two years.

Eggs are amazing!

My very best Aussie hen, which Spencer and nine come from, is now eight. The breeder who has her now is in love with her as I was when I had her. It will be a sad day when she is gone.

I need to weigh Spencer. He's pushing ten pounds, possibly more. He's so feathered he doesn't seem like he would be that HEAVY.

Back
Top Bottom