Australorps breed Thread

The eye should be darker. Watch the eye though--eye changes can be caused by the first mareks infection. It is not fatal usually and all chickens get it--a small percentage go on to develop cancer at about age two.

The eye may go to a grey color. If it stays the same, then no worries!

What?! So if the eye turns gray, she has mareks? That is weird

What?! So if the eye turns gray, she has mareks? That is weird
Mareks is weird!

Don't worry about it though--just something to consider when one gets weird eyes. The genes for dark brown\black is still there and if the eye change was the only symptom, she would be good to use for breeding. She would have resistance to mareks.

Last edited:
Did she always have this color eye or is this recent ...?
RON - Could mixed parentage produce different colored eyes ?

I believe she has alway had this color of eyes she is a pullet and when they changed from act when she was a chick I guess they just kept getting lighter.
I got her from my pet chicken. She has not layed yet

Last edited:
Did she always have this color eye or is this recent ...?
RON - Could mixed parentage produce different colored eyes ?
Yes, it could be that too.

I believe she has alway had this color of eyes she is a pullet and when they changed from act when she was a chick I guess they just kept getting lighter.
I got her from my pet chicken. She has not layed yet
Did my pet chicken give her a mareks vaccination? She may have just reacted to the vaccine. It is likely just genes though. Sometimes hatchery birds are mixed with other breeds.

either way, do not worry about it!

Yes, it could be that too.

Did my pet chicken give her a mareks vaccination? She may have just reacted to the vaccine. It is likely just genes though. Sometimes hatchery birds are mixed with other breeds.

either way, do not worry about it!

I don't remember if they gave it to her or not. I know they didn't give it to my bantams. I think it's genes. I don't plan on breeding her

Quote:
That is hysterical !
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom