Australorps breed Thread

Yah, before I got chickens i would catch toads all the time, great big fat ones! But after I got chickens I don't see them around so much anymore, I've seen a chicken eat a frog, so the little ones get eaten :(

This might be a stupid question but dose the toad/frogs not make the chicken sick like a dog lol they start foaming at the mouth I saw my hen kill a lizard today it's like having mini dinosaurs lol

I've posted this on the gender/breed forum, but thought someone here might know...5 weeks old and has me confused, but I think it may be a pullet that acts rooish

Give him/her a couple of weeks it will be obvious.
Wow! We have a lot of brown recluse spiders around here. Respect!

That said, I was prevented from using my back door for over two hours one day because a very large, female Black Widow spider was slowly lowering herself down to the ground, dangling from a single piece of silk, right outside my door. I knew that if I opened the door, the physics of the air flow would suck her into my house, and I could NOT tolerate that. I swear she knew I wanted to use that door because I've never seen a spider move so casually. Then, when she finally made it to the ground, I wasn't there to witness it and didn't know what direction she'd gone. I was paranoid for a week that I'd open the door and walk through a web. I HATE walking through spider webs!
You should have got the vacuum.

This might be a stupid question but dose the toad/frogs not make the chicken sick like a dog lol they start foaming at the mouth I saw my hen kill a lizard today it's like having mini dinosaurs lol

Yah... Toads do have poison glands behind their eyes, they can spread it all over their body. If the chicken eats it fast enough it won't have time to emit the poison , but if the chicken tries to kill it first the poison would have time to spread. Maybe it just doesn't bother chickens.
With dogs it stings/tastes bad and they run away yelping if they get it in their mouth (from what I've read) and I suppose maybe littler toads aren't as toxic?

Chickens will easy anything that doesn't out run them. Including other chickens! I dropped a basket of quail cots and they scattered. The ones that ended up in the chicken pens became chicken dinner.

Give him/her a couple of weeks it will be obvious.
You should have got the vacuum.

I did that one time and my husband chewed me out for a solid week. "Now it's in the vacuum and it will probably have babies in there." I usually don't mind the Black Widows as long as they're not in my house. This one just annoyed me.

Yah... Toads do have poison glands behind their eyes, they can spread it all over their body. If the chicken eats it fast enough it won't have time to emit the poison , but if the chicken tries to kill it first the poison would have time to spread. Maybe it just doesn't bother chickens.
With dogs it stings/tastes bad and they run away yelping if they get it in their mouth (from what I've read) and I suppose maybe littler toads aren't as toxic?

We have Colorado River Toads here and they're very poisonous to dogs. Several of my neighbors have lost dogs to them in the summertime and I've had to spend nearly an hour flushing one of my dog's mouth out to remove the toxin when she decided to lick one of the toads that found it's way through our fencing and into the backyard. I don't want to run the risk of the chickens eating one either.

I did that one time and my husband chewed me out for a solid week. "Now it's in the vacuum and it will probably have babies in there." I usually don't mind the Black Widows as long as they're not in my house. This one just annoyed me.

I'd turn on the vac and spray a serious bug killer into the suction. That should end any prospect of hatching or having 'Mommy Dearest' from having another go.
highfive.gif

Finished up the rabbit slaughter about noon today. I took pity on the folks and helped...that way I could see that everything was done to suit OL' DAD.

Back
Top Bottom