Australorps breed Thread

I lost the silkie in my profile pic today it and two of my BA chicks got eaten by a mongoose, got into the brooder room luckily the black chick is in the brooder in my room. We only found the wings and legs poor things hope they died quickly.
Oh no ...I thought mongoose liked snakes ...can you trap it ?

Just curious if this is normal or if my chick is just a pig and the skin is stretched but I noticed this morning that the smaller of the two 2 week olds seems to have a lot of bare skin look on it's crop. I'm not sue if it's just eating too much and the skin is stretched or if the other one has been plucking them?? They were confined to their small bird cage yesterday because it was too cold to let them outside but still....

Maybe they are just a quick growing bird and it's part of the gangly stage? Never noticed it last year though..

Just curious if this is normal or if my chick is just a pig and the skin is stretched but I noticed this morning that the smaller of the two 2 week olds seems to have a lot of bare skin look on it's crop. I'm not sue if it's just eating too much and the skin is stretched or if the other one has been plucking them?? They were confined to their small bird cage yesterday because it was too cold to let them outside but still....

Maybe they are just a quick growing bird and it's part of the gangly stage? Never noticed it last year though..
Id say watch it ..to see if it is being pecked ....
Weird growth spurts and bare patches can be a sign of a young cockerel

Id say watch it ..to see if it is being pecked ....
Weird growth spurts and bare patches can be a sign of a young cockerel

Nooooo lol. Actually it's the other one I think might be a boy.

A is Bigger but always has been and is just super friendly and outgoing. (Guess boy)

B is smaller and more timid and in the last couple of days has started getting tail feathers. (Guess girl)

Last edited:
What do you guys use in your chick brooders?

I'm not really sure what to do with these guys,they seem to eat anything and everything you put near them, including my fingers and the newspaper I have always used before. At the moment I've had to resort to putting cardboard in there as they can't rip that up (they worked out if they spin round while doing the dust bathing dance their feet shred the newspaper so it's easier to eat ).

I'm a bit nervous to use wood shavings in case they eat those? Have you had any problems with them with this breed of velociraptors?

Last edited:
What do you guys use in your chick brooders?

I'm not really sure what to do with these guys,they seem to eat anything and everything you put near them, including my fingers and the newspaper I have always used before. At the moment I've had to resort to putting cardboard in there as they can't rip that up (they worked out if they spin round while doing the dust bathing dance their feet shred the newspaper so it's easier to eat ).

I'm a bit nervous to use wood shavings in case they eat those? Have you had any problems with them with this breed of velociraptors?
With my first (and only) chicks that I raised in a brooder box, I put newspaper down with that grippy rubber matting (don't know what it's called) on top. Seemed to work really well, I just hosed off the matting every day to clean it. The hay is not something i had there all the time...

With my first (and only) chicks that I raised in a brooder box, I put newspaper down with that grippy rubber matting (don't know what it's called) on top. Seemed to work really well, I just hosed off the matting every day to clean it. The hay is not something i had there all the time...
That could work! I think they sell that at the reject shop pretty cheap, will have a look tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom