Australorps breed Thread

Congrats!

The first of my 2012 girls laid her first egg out by the waterer. I think the egg was a surprise to her (and why wouldn't it be??). After that she hit the nest as have all the "first timers" since.

Have your girls checked out the nest boxes at all? Along with Kurt's questions about the accessibility, etc, you could try putting them in the nest box (assuming you don't have to traumatize them) so they can see the possibilities. Especially since it is obviously a safe place to lay, the fake chicken already laid a fake egg in there to show that
wink.png

Our first egg was outside just sitting in the middle of the grass, the rest have just been randomly laid on the coop floor.
idunno.gif

They have been checking out the nest box for over a week, climbing in and out easily, but then just sit on top of it, never actually lay in it.
These are my first ever chickens, so I really thank you all for your suggestions - going now to google up nesting box curtains!!!
smile.png

Since you replied to my post that ended with a question about how they know the nest is available if there are curtains, I thought your comment that they look over the edge was in response to that.

I just meant they look over the edge of the nesting box to see if there's hen. They're open nesting boxes. Sorry for the confusion.

Yep that is what mine do. They get up on the access perch and check things out. Of course some of the more dominant girls will just shove into their favorite box. The girl already in the box usually gives up and moves.

Quote:
Now is a great time to get fake eggs ...at walmart ...or after easter they are real cheap then (those white eggs to decorate ..buy a dozen or 2 .)
They are light weight & wont crack a egg if they bonk with the real ones ...easy to tell which ones are fake ....esp if you have brown egg layers ...can be washed easily when dirty )
Put them all in the nest boxes ..they will figure it out ...also show the hens they are there

My color mismatched plastic eggs have a small stone inside to simulate the weight of a real egg. Heard that was sort of important if the girls are to believe they are "real". No idea how true that is though.

Back
Top Bottom