Australorps breed Thread

One batch of 4 week old "Veloci Raptors" aka BBS Aussies gone, so I can concentrate on more babies!
Hi Kurt, One of my Blue hens has gone broody !! Do you think I can trust her? I haven't had any luck with my previous Aussies being good Mommas. I had one that sat for the entire 21 days........... then killed each chick as they hatched. I was at work and found them when I got home. :(

Cracrzy,
Long time no hear. I have a blue and a splash broody right now, but I keep stealing the eggs. Was the one who killed her chicks alone with them? The reason I ask is I had a jealous hen kill another hens chicks before. All I can tell you is give it a try. If you are not planning on raising a bunch of babies, that is the way to go with a broody. They have to be kept separate from the rest of the girls for a while which to me is a pain in the butt, hence the use of the bator unless they all run free and have places to hide.
Kurt

Last edited:
supposed to eat them. But the local birds leave them for my chickens.

And hosta is supposed to be poisonous to chickens.The chickens seem to know what they shouldn't eat.
Mine have eaten hostas with no problem ..
Hostas grow inside our deck fence ..which is I put mommy & babies for protection against the flock ..
Momma & babies ate them down to nubbs one year ..

Cracrzy,
Long time no hear. I have a blue and a splash broody right now, but I keep stealing the eggs. Was the one who killed her chicks alone with them? The reason I ask is I had a jealous hen kill another hens chicks before. All I can tell you is give it a try. If you are not planning on raising a bunch of babies, that is the way to go with a broody. They have to be kept separate from the rest of the girls for a while which to me is a pain in the butt, hence the use of the bator unless they all run free and have places to hide.
Kurt
Let her have another try ...by herself ..
.I have had other hens - not broody chase broodies off the nest if they are in a higher pecking order ...

Cracrzy,
Kurt

The baby killer was separated from the rest of the flock. She was in a big wire dog crate, with a large box full of shavings to nest in. I also believe she was hatchery stock.
If I let her give it a go, I'll do the same thing. I set up a large wire dog crate with a nest box. Move her at night and keep her covered for a couple of days 'til I'm sure she's serious. Thanks :)

Hey I have an Australorp named Ebony too! Unfortunately I don't have any pictures. Also, three Wyandottes and a Barnevelder? You must have a pretty flock!

They are only 2 mo old so hopefully someday I will have a pretty little flock. The Wyandottes are getting bigger white parts as their feathers are getting larger. What kind of chickens do you have?

I noticed one small thing the list of poisonous plants said, "UNRIPE" tomatoes. So maybe when ripe they don't pose a threat. Also there are many varieties of Hosta plants so there could be one poisonous one, hopefully no ones chickens will ever find out which one it is.

We're getting some nice rain here today. Just in time to water my roses. The way they're raising the water bill I might not be able to water them this summer. If not the price, Gov Brown wants to steal our water and send it down to L.A. When we don't have enough to use ourselves. I could rant and rave about the gov all day!

They are only 2 mo old so hopefully someday I will have a pretty little flock. The Wyandottes are getting bigger white parts as their feathers are getting larger. What kind of chickens do you have?

Along with my Australorp I have a RIR, a Plymouth Rock and a Light Sussex. I hope to get more chooks sometime soon... but I doubt that will ever happen.
I know it's kinda hard to tell at this stage but what are the Wyandottes like? As in their nature? I've always wanted to own one.

Along with my Australorp I have a RIR, a Plymouth Rock and a Light Sussex. I hope to get more chooks sometime soon... but I doubt that will ever happen.
I know it's kinda hard to tell at this stage but what are the Wyandottes like? As in their nature? I've always wanted to own one.

I haven't had Wyandottes before. I have two Silver Laced and a Golden Laced. Compared to the bantam Cochins I used to have these gals are not trusting me, won't eat out of my hand, but they are curious. I've had them since they were 4 wks old. The Barnvelder is shy. The little Australorp is calm, curious, comes running to see what I have.

My friend had some Wyandottes and the red tailed Hawks have killed most of his flock. He really likes them and they are good layers. I kind of like chickens that are friendly and don't mind being picked up and petted. I'm still working on them but it doesn't seem to come naturally unless it's because they're hatchery birds and were 4 wks old when I got them.

Back
Top Bottom