Australorps breed Thread

Thank goodness! I am new to Australorps. I chose the breed because a friend's have terrific temperaments and I need sweet chickens to match three existing hens. I have three hens that I have to keep separate from three others because all three get along with each other but want to kill the other three extra sweet ones. All have plenty of room, lots of food, lots to do and were raised all together. No reason for their hateful behavior but as I said, the three pickers get along as a group of three just fine.
This Australorp was purchased at a feed store, BTW, at three days old and had the very worst case of pasty butt. She is doing very well now but it took hours and four attempts just to clean her.

Thank goodness! I am new to Australorps. I chose the breed because a friend's have terrific temperaments and I need sweet chickens to match three existing hens. I have three hens that I have to keep separate from three others because all three get along with each other but want to kill the other three extra sweet ones. All have plenty of room, lots of food, lots to do and were raised all together. No reason for their hateful behavior but as I said, the three pickers get along as a group of three just fine.
This Australorp was purchased at a feed store, BTW, at three days old and had the very worst case of pasty butt. She is doing very well now but it took hours and four attempts just to clean her.

Usually pasty butt can be fixed by adding some grit to their feed. That's what I've done and haven't had any problems with pasty butt.

Contrary to popular belief pasty butt is normally caused by being too cold from shipping or too cold or too hot in the brooder. Fresh clean, cool water and quality chick starter food usually is enough once you clean the chick up. The chick has to be able choose the right temp in the brooder by moving away or into the heat. Too much heat is as bad as too cold and is the main cause of pasty butt.
Your water should be away from the heat also.

Contrary to popular belief pasty butt is normally caused by being too cold from shipping or too cold or too hot in the brooder. Fresh clean, cool water and quality chick starter food usually is enough once you clean the chick up. The chick has to be able choose the right temp in the brooder by moving away or into the heat. Too much heat is as bad as too cold and is the main cause of pasty butt.
Your water should be away from the heat also.

Yes ...I agree ..thats a little chick that is having trouble ..with its body temperature .
A little apple cider vinegar in the water can help that clear up too

Yes, I read that too. As soon as we got home I changed everything for them. I put them in a brooding box where they could move away from the heat source. I added vinegar to their water. I gave them chopped, boiled egg, and I monitored temps all night (ALL NIGHT.... every hour) because I was worried about her. No problems now! :) She started flying at just 10 days and she's a feisty but sweet little thing. I say "she". I am praying she is a "she".

Thank you, Rattlesnake. When "she" reaches 4 weeks I'll post more photos. She is hard to photograph. Yesterday she was positive that flying out of my hand was her best option :) I put her in the grass for a photo and she was off like lightning. BTW, my mom grew up in Poca, WV. Most of that side of my family are old WV settlers. Beautiful place to live.

Hey folks, just an update. I think that I am overridden with roo's . My Ba are a little over 4 weeks old. Out of the brooder and loving life in the coop. They are so happy.
Hoping I'm wrong as I am no expert. Yet big combs, wattles showing etc. AHHHHHHHH
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom