Australorps breed Thread

Thank you everyone for your sympathy and suggestions. This is as far as I've gotten to know Coop I was building so it's not too late to change things up a little. I think I can buy Lowe's grid panels like you use on a dog kennel at Tractor Supply that will fit the sections on my run. Should I only use the chicken wire to go around the perimeter around under the ground to help prevent something from digging?

Sorry you lost the birds Daniel
sad.png
I have lost 2 to foxes (one last spring, one the spring before) but they were out free ranging about 5:30 PM. Nothing will get into my coop, it is a converted horse stall with 1/2" hardware cloth over every opening and the dirt floor. There is 2x4 welded wire on all the "window" openings (because it was there for the horses that prior owners had).

My bet is the coon went through the nest box door. Were the chickens eaten or just the heads ripped off? The latter is, I gather, a signature coon move.

Use chicken wire ONLY for fencing that you HOPE will keep the chickens in or out of something. It has NO use against predators other than to slow them down a minute. Coons can reach through it and rip the head off a chicken laying against it.

Run protection: All sides should be covered with welded wire or chain link if you are using dog kennel panels. If you are worried about big digging predators, you can put down a 2x4 wire fence skirt down into the ground a few inches then skirted out at least 18". You need 1/2" hardware cloth up about 2 feet along the outside to keep coons from reaching in. Make sure the strike side of the door can't be pulled away from the frame down low to create a small gap. If it can, put a second latch a foot or two up from the ground. My preference is barrel bolts with a hole for a lock/carabiner.

Coop protection. EVERY opening, no matter how small must be covered with 1/2" hardware cloth. Even a big "fat" racoon can squeeze through an opening you would think impossible. Ever seen a small weasel? (you have them even if you haven't seen them) They can get through a 1" hole and will play vampire on the back of your chickens' necks on the roost at night. Larger openings (something a larger predator can get in) can also be covered with heavier gauge wire fencing if you have big predators with big teeth. If they can manage to hook into the 1/2" hardware cloth, they can chew through it.

A word about "staples". T50 "Arrow" staples will pop out with almost no pressure on the wire, use them only to position the hardware cloth. Fencing should be attached with poultry (fence) "staples". 1/2" hardware cloth (don't use 1/4, smaller wire size) with that or screws and fender washers or battens screwed over the wire.

All doors/access hatches, whatever, must have coon proof latches. That means something you can put a lock or carabiner through. And if you use gate latches, make sure you put a trip wire fed through the door to the inside so you don't have to spend hours with the chickens until someone rescues you when the door blows shut when you aren't looking, or your goat closes it on you, or .... You may laugh but read through some of the forums and you will see that it happens more often than you may think.

I'm in the process ofgettin more chicks. I've hopefully reserved 10 lavender australaorps and 5 more black ones. IDK if the person I'm getting them from is a member here or not. I found them on ebay.

Quote:
Officially LOVE my black australorp chicks!! Waiting to order more & shouldve from the beginning.
BA chicks are the CUTEST!

I agree. I have some 4 week old Mottled AMS that have destroyed my garage with their dust and they are the flightiest breed that I have ever seen. Big scaredy cats!
Kurt
Sounds like our Rhode Island Reds.

BAWK,
I am just about ready to have a broody barbecue!!
Kurt
Kurt wins the phrase of the day award.
lol.png

Horror. My morning starts with horror. I went out to check on my chicks and found a Massacre. 6 out of my 9 chicks dead. Tore to shreds by some preditor last night. I have one female chick left and what is probably 2 male. I'm shocked and traumatized this morning. I brought the three remaining checks back inside I don't know what to do now.
So sorry to hear that. We just went with hog fencing around the bottom, and poultry netting over chicken wire for the rest of the run, then bird netting over the top. So far so *knock knock* good.
Sounds like a coon to me, too.

Adorable aussies!
I'm in the process ofgettin more chicks. I've hopefully reserved 10 lavender australaorps and 5 more black ones. IDK if the person I'm getting them from is a member here or not. I found them on ebay.
Lav australorps!! !
love.gif

Well, I think we are downsizing and, of course, I have decided to keep the aussies over everything else. I'll pick up other breeds once I have more free time. lol

Daniel,
I was checking out your Lavender Australorps on Ebay. I have heard about them, but that is the first time I saw them. They are actually a self blue IMO not a lavender. Did you ask them if they breed true meaning a lav to a lav makes a lav? Their body type is close to what an Australorp is supposed to look like, but the redish eye looks like a bared rock eye. Australorps are suppose to have a dark brown almost black eye. Self Blue or Lav is actually just a diluted black gene so if you breed them to your blacks it gets a little complicated to do it right. Blue to a Blue gives you 50% Blue, 25% Black, and 25% Splash. Maybe the Lavs breed true like Splash to Splash, but I doubt it, ask them? Good luck with your coop its looking real good, make it Ft. Knox.
Kurt

Daniel,
I was checking out your Lavender Australorps on Ebay. I have heard about them, but that is the first time I saw them. They are actually a self blue IMO not a lavender. Did you ask them if they breed true meaning a lav to a lav makes a lav? Their body type is close to what an Australorp is supposed to look like, but the redish eye looks like a bared rock eye. Australorps are suppose to have a dark brown almost black eye. Self Blue or Lav is actually just a diluted black gene so if you breed them to your blacks it gets a little complicated to do it right. Blue to a Blue gives you 50% Blue, 25% Black, and 25% Splash. Maybe the Lavs breed true like Splash to Splash, but I doubt it, ask them?  Good luck with your coop its looking real good, make it Ft. Knox. 
Kurt

From what I understand they're not pure blooded Australorp but actually 3rd Generation crosses with lavender orpingtons. When I asked if she also had black Australorp she replied that the ones she has are split for lavender genes, I'm not sure what that means exactly.

Correct, split means a black carrying a lav or self blue gene. You need two copies of the gene to make a homozygous bird. When a bird has only one copy of a gene then it is commonly known as a split meaning a heterozygous bird. A lav bird would have to mate to a lav bird that were both homozygous to breed true. When you involve splits then offspring can be different colors like a blue to blue mating. Does any of this make sense?
It all really does not matter if you like the look of those birds, then have at it. It will be a challenge to breed them right though.
Kurt

So it would be POSSIBLE that if you bred lav to lav, some of the chicks might end up with 2 copies of the lav gene? And you could then have reliable "true breeding" lavs?

I've followed a few breeding and gene discussions and WOW is it all so confusing.

Back
Top Bottom