Australorps breed Thread

Cicero,
The kg weights seem right. I am in the US, and my cock birds are 8 lbs plus and the hens are around 6 lbs.

The black and white matting will not work. The only way to make a splash is a blue and blue matting that will give you 50% blue, 25% black babies and 25% splash babies.

A splash bird has 2 blue genes.
A blue bird has 1 blue gene and 1 black gene.
A black bird has 2 black genes.

A blue bird is actually a diluted black bird.

Kurt
Thank you so much !!
highfive.gif
Genetics is really interesting but also very hard to understand !!
big_smile.png

Hi Kurt :frow Your Australorps are beautiful !! Congrats :D  So the best combination is Blue X Black! :thumbsup  Moreover I have other 2 curiosities and you seem to be very knowledgeable about this breed: :)
1 Black and White Australorps can be crossed in order to get the splash colour?
2 Is the Australorp weight standard 4 Kg for roosters and 3 Kg for hens? because here there are breeders who have told me that their Australorp roosters can surpass the 4 Kg.
Thank you :)  

Just a random photo off internet but you will gent something along these lines. A white bird with bits of black on it.

You might get more or less black spots. To get a splash you need to get from white to soft blue grey and from black spots to dark grey flecks. That's a lot of selective breeding!

Not sure about the Italian standard but this is the Australian one.
WEIGHTS: Recommended weights as proposed by the "2nd Edition Australian Poultry Standards Committee" for their Second Edition Upgrade.
Whilst these weights are not those proposed by the Australorp Club of Australia Inc. in our submissions in 2006, they are within an acceptable range to our breeders.

LARGE AUSTRALORPS

Cock 3.60 - 4.10 kg
Cockerel 3.20 - 3.60 kg
Hen 2.750 - 3.10 kg
Pullet 2.25 - 2.75 kg

BANTAM AUSTRALORPS

Cock 1.00 - 1.230 kg
Cockerel .960 - 1.190 kg
Hen .850 - 1.040 kg
Pullet .790 - 1.020 kg

My girls need weighing but I'm guessing close to 3kg. They weigh a tonne when trying to extract from a nesting box
1f602.png

Last edited:
Just a random photo off internet but you will gent something along these lines. A white bird with bits of black on it.

You might get more or less black spots. To get a splash you need to get from white to soft blue grey and from black spots to dark grey flecks. That's a lot of selective breeding!

Not sure about the Italian standard but this is the Australian one.
WEIGHTS: Recommended weights as proposed by the "2nd Edition Australian Poultry Standards Committee" for their Second Edition Upgrade.
Whilst these weights are not those proposed by the Australorp Club of Australia Inc. in our submissions in 2006, they are within an acceptable range to our breeders.

LARGE AUSTRALORPS

Cock 3.60 - 4.10 kg
Cockerel 3.20 - 3.60 kg
Hen 2.750 - 3.10 kg
Pullet 2.25 - 2.75 kg

BANTAM AUSTRALORPS

Cock 1.00 - 1.230 kg
Cockerel .960 - 1.190 kg
Hen .850 - 1.040 kg
Pullet .790 - 1.020 kg

My girls need weighing but I'm guessing close to 3kg. They weigh a tonne when trying to extract from a nesting box
1f602.png
Thank you!!
smile.png
I think that I will start to experiment next spring :) It will be a white bird with bits of black but if I cross it again with a Black Australorp, the result will be a white bird with more black spots
big_smile.png
And so on... cross after cross
smile.png

Well, therefore the weights are in standard. Australorp is really a heavy breed
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Alrighty a question for all of you. My Blue Australorp cockerel has started turning a brownish colour on his saddle feathers. All the blue Australorp cockerels I've seen are black on top. Is he still ok to breed from?

Alrighty a question for all of you. My Blue Australorp cockerel has started turning a brownish colour on his saddle feathers. All the blue Australorp cockerels I've seen are black on top. Is he still ok to breed from?
Hi
frow.gif
Could you take a picture?
big_smile.png
Unfortunately Australorps with brown feathers are not in standard but it could be just a slight flaw.

Last edited:
How months old is he? I think you are right, he seems to have a slight shade of brown on the back. In my opinion it's just a slight flaw
thumbsup.gif
but if you wanted to have chicks, it would be better not to use this cockerel.

How months old is he? I think you are right, he seems to have a slight shade of brown on the back. In my opinion it's just a slight flaw :thumbsup  but if you wanted to have chicks, it would be better not to use this cockerel.

He is 16 weeks old. Do you have any Aussies? Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom