Australorps breed Thread

I figured. The blue pullet that came with my Privett birds and one cockerel that I'm pretty sure is carrying the blue but is coming out mostly black, they are both bigger than the rest. All the rest of the black cockerels are maturing faster than the one, too, and he's got a different personality. He's not flinchy like the rest.
I really want to just focus on NN's, but it's so difficult when there's other breeds I really like, like the Australorps.

The Blues can come in different shades of the blues, depending on the color of the parent. Are you planning to start breeding some of these?

Our first little egg at 17 weeks! That's a lot earlier than I expected, LOL. I just installed the nest box last weekend and they haven't totally accepted it in the coop yet. So the egg was, of course, on the floor of the coop. Oh well....I'm happy!
20170713_100531.jpg

If I choose to have the BA as my primary bird for production, how do I tell the True breed from Hatchery breeds from local sellers? What would I be looking for.
I want to keep local even though it would be more $$ but I think it is a better bird then the Hatcheries.

wanted to add that I will be going back to read most of this thread :)

Our first little egg at 17 weeks! That's a lot earlier than I expected, LOL. I just installed the nest box last weekend and they haven't totally accepted it in the coop yet. So the egg was, of course, on the floor of the coop. Oh well....I'm happy!View attachment 1075095
Be careful because they could accidentally break the first eggs they lay on the ground walking on or playing with them and once they eat their eggs, it will be a bit difficult to remove this bad habit (personal experience with my little flock)

Be careful because they could accidentally break the first eggs they lay on the ground walking on or playing with them and once they eat their eggs, it will be a bit difficult to remove this bad habit (personal experience with my little flock)

Good to see you in a thread here again! Sometimes they will lay the eggs on the ground or even on the roosting board. It seem's that they all want to lay in the same nesting box. There has been a few times that I went out there, and would catch 2 already in the nesting box and a third one trying to get in. That's usually when I will later find an egg on the ground right outside of that nesting box. My guess is that it was that third hen that did it.

Back
Top Bottom