Australorps breed Thread

I have a question for our Australorp family. In my small flock of 5 21-week old pullets, 2 are BA (Winn and Dixie). They are still the "characters" of the group and SUPER friendly. They have begun being very noisy the past week or two. They follow me around, jump on the perch to watch as I clean the coop, peck at my legs if I am just sitting with the group, and talk really loudly while they are doing it. It starts out as a regular cluck and ends up as a loud squawk-not like a predator is near sound, but more like a shout. They seem happy, healthy, and no issues with other girls, so what are they trying to tell me?

Yes, mine are very chatty. Another thing, develop a routine. For example, I have 4 pens of them. I always start with pen 1, then go to pen 2 etc. When I go into each pen, I start by emptying, and putting fresh water in their bucket, then move on to putting feed in their feeder, then check their oyster shell. IF I do anything out of routine, they all let me know about it. There are some that want to be talked to, and some that must be held for a few minutes, then set back down.

Could be. Maybe they are the spokes-hens advocating for more mealworms! Just wondering if Australorps might be more chatty. My 2 Easter Eggers are definitely much more quiet!
My first 2 BAs were night and day vocally. Zorra would (and still does) talk a little to me if I talk to her. Echo was a chatterbox. She'd wander around talking to herself. Hardly ever made chicken like noises. But she bugled, whistled, squealed, even had a 2 note crow. She was also my best layer and did sing the egg song.

I have a White Rock that "complains" all the time and a Welsummer that talks a lot too.

I have a question for our Australorp family. In my small flock of 5 21-week old pullets, 2 are BA (Winn and Dixie). They are still the "characters" of the group and SUPER friendly. They have begun being very noisy the past week or two. They follow me around, jump on the perch to watch as I clean the coop, peck at my legs if I am just sitting with the group, and talk really loudly while they are doing it. It starts out as a regular cluck and ends up as a loud squawk-not like a predator is near sound, but more like a shout. They seem happy, healthy, and no issues with other girls, so what are they trying to tell me?
Have they started laying yet? Are their combs getting redder than usual lately? I've had some hens get much friendlier once they start laying. Especially if there's no rooster, they will see you as the rooster.

Very interesting replies! Thanks!
No, they are not laying yet. Combs are just starting to grow a little, and I haven't noticed any more redness than usual. I don't have a rooster, so maybe you're right about that.
Not that I'm complaining about their noise-I love my 2 BAs-they are just so funny, and have been since chicks! I used to be able to tell them apart easily-Winn was much smaller, as she was so sick when she was a baby. Now they're both the same size, and I have to see them together to tell them apart. Like identical twins, though, there are subtle differences in their faces and little behavior quirks.

Hello to all my past BA friends. I have sold or given away
all of my BBS Aussie breeding stock that I had for 8 years. 5 coups and pens have now turned into 1 coup and 1 pen. It is much easier to handle now. I did keep 10 Mottled Ameraucanas pullets and a couple of cockerels. I will check the thread out once in a while
and help with questions or advise. It has been fun, adios.

Back
Top Bottom