Australorps breed Thread

Yes, when we get older, and have medical issues it's much better for us, and the flock to downsize to something manageable. That ensures we don't have to overdo things, and the birds get better care too. Kurt, I'm sorry you are having to do this, but it's something we must all face eventually. Please come on when you can. You are a wealth of knowledge, and that's valuable to pass along. In addition, you've made quite a few friends on here, even if we are long distance. I sure hope they can get your guys medical situation stabilized. You and your wife are in my prayers.

Hi there! I am new to raising chickens and have my first flock of 9 pullets, which includes 3 black Australorps! They're five weeks old now and so much fun. One of them, Harriet (the middle picture), is especially vocal and complains loudly when you pet her, but still comes around to hop on my lap.
20181015_163908.jpg
20181015_163742.jpg
20181015_163726.jpg

Yes, Black Australorps are so much fun and have a great personality! My 2 are 24 weeks old now, and just get funnier every day. Dixie has been laying for about 10 days, and really complains a lot before she finally deposits that egg! Sometimes my other BA, Winn, joins her in the coop and there is a duet of complaints-I guess Winn is giving Dixie moral support, or just being nosy about the whole process! They are both my super friendly, people chickens, and enjoy having me carry them around, all the while having a lively conversation with me!

Kurt, I've been discussing with my daughters as to what to do. When we all get our income tax money, we're going to take a road trip, and get new stock. I can't continue my line with infertile roosters. It's impossible. Until then, I'm at a standstill.

I applaud all of you amazing people for working with such a magnificent breed. :) I am in awe.
As I know breeders like to share their birds, I am sharing a thread I created seeking pictures, with your approval, to use them on a website I am creating that serves to compile the current standards of all recognized breeds and varieties in compliance with current copyright protection. The standards will be based from the SOP.
Please follow the required format if you wish to enter a photo. It is not guaranteed that your photo will be chosen. I will choose the clearest photo available.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/submit-your-photos-standard-bred-chickens.1277248/

So what has happened to the Australorp Breed thread? One guy retiring should not kill this thread!
Kurt
So what has happened to the Australorp Breed thread? One guy retiring should not kill this thread!
Kurt
Wow, I just found this place again and sorry to hear of you getting rid of your stock. Life does throw us curves. My hens are four years old now so I will be adding more and hoped I would find a source here. I have never had hawks bother my birds and wondered if others did? Some say the hawks think they may be crows and leave them be?

Back
Top Bottom