Australorps breed Thread

I was going to go with being pecked on as well but if she's doing the damage I'd have to guess something is bothering her.

Did all the BA's come from the same place? The 2 I got from Ideal in 2012 had slate legs, pink feet, per the SOP. The 2 I got from Meyer in 2015 have black legs and yellow foot bottoms. That fits the BJG spec. While they claim they aren't BJGs (and they aren't based on size alone) I'm betting someone decided they needed some size in the BA line and inserted some BJGs in the mix somewhere along the line.

I think she just itches it because, well the feathers were ...just pulled out. I think that’s the case. I wasn’t able to watch today...had too much going on. It’s not getting worse and the others look fine. She is the favorite hen, and I witnessed the other male peck on her followed by George running him around the yard for a bit. I hadn't seen the other roo try to get with any of them, he normally acts like another hen.
@bruceha2000 I think that’s very possible. I have a roo and a hen with yellow feet but thats all.

29749590_10215874567127970_883641918100549067_o.jpg

Kurt, I'm so glad you're in remission. It takes a bit of time to recuperate from the treatment(s), but once that is over, and you're in remission, you'll start getting back to some semblance of normal. That overly tired, totally drained feeling begins to go away, and slowly you will regain strength, and energy. I hope your wife is doing good too.

I haven't really noticed a "fad" breed lately. There was some interest in chickens with turquoise earlobes, but it didn't really turn into a fad.

Now that I got a good, fertile rooster, I will be hatching out every BA egg I get this spring.

Tell that to Meyers ;) The 2 Black Australorps I got from them had yellow feet. The tops and legs turned black but the soles are still yellow. My 2 from Ideal in 2012 have pale soles and slate legs.

I talked to someone at Meyer and they were pretty insistent that they were BAs, not BJGs something to do with the sides of their faces. I ended the conversation saying someone tossed some non BA's into the genetic mix because a BA will NEVER have yellow feet. BUT ... My 1 remaining BA from Ideal has always been the biggest chicken in the flock. Size wise she could be a slightly small BJG hen. Clearly bigger than the 2 yellow soled girls I got from Meyer.

Back
Top Bottom