Australorps breed Thread

Hey Groche,
Back on page 103 or 104 I posted a couple pics on MOJO, Dundees son. That crooked point he had straightened up and he looks better than ever. I will get a pic when I get a chance.

Chet, at Hupp Farm, how are you making out?

Yep, the problem is holding onto them long enough. You have to keep them occupied with females and keep the cockerels from fighting with each other. I usually eat them before they get to that point of looking good because my patience wears thin. I try to keep less than 50 birds and my hatches seem like more and more little cockerels every time!!!

Hi folks,
my dad passed away last Wednesday, so I've been busy. He was 90 and had a good innings. Coincidentally, my latest Aussie pullets and my bantam Silver Appleyard duck started laying that day. Cycle of life, eh? We have the same issues here with our Aussies not revealing their true 'form' until after their first moult.Why we shouldn't use pullets in our breeding programs. Having said that, if my Derrick and these longer backed girls should produce a roo with a better saddle than his dad, you just never know! But this is 'lottery breeding' to an extent, I know also. Just read of a bloke who culled his pullets, keeping the 'best', obviously. He sold the culls to a friend as purebred backyard chooks. Visited friend next year. Numbers of the culls were much better than any he had kept. Ended up buying a heap of 'em back! Not the right thread, but my bantam 'Crabapple' - little Apple, duck is a machine. Our strains lay as well as Runners and are a better little meat bird. Good, but expensive eating at $50 a bird.One also won our National Title, beating all the chooks!
Cheers Geoff from Aus

There used to be the american australorp club but someone dropped the ball and lost all the info on breeders here in the states. such a shame, I looked for a year strait to find birds that were of any quality. you will find that some breeders that you talk with cross breed their Australorps for size, dont buy any of those as you will have to go out and find more pure breed Australorps to breed with the crosses to get rid of the orpington traits, which will take at least 2 years of dedicated breeding. Its a pain.
Try to stay clear of hatcheries unless you dont care what the birds look like.
happy hunting
Hi , is there a Australorp breed website ? I'm looking for a few birds
smile.png

Hi folks,
my dad passed away last Wednesday, so I've been busy. He was 90 and had a good innings. Coincidentally, my latest Aussie pullets and my bantam Silver Appleyard duck started laying that day. Cycle of life, eh? We have the same issues here with our Aussies not revealing their true 'form' until after their first moult.Why we shouldn't use pullets in our breeding programs. Having said that, if my Derrick and these longer backed girls should produce a roo with a better saddle than his dad, you just never know! But this is 'lottery breeding' to an extent, I know also. Just read of a bloke who culled his pullets, keeping the 'best', obviously. He sold the culls to a friend as purebred backyard chooks. Visited friend next year. Numbers of the culls were much better than any he had kept. Ended up buying a heap of 'em back! Not the right thread, but my bantam 'Crabapple' - little Apple, duck is a machine. Our strains lay as well as Runners and are a better little meat bird. Good, but expensive eating at $50 a bird.One also won our National Title, beating all the chooks!
Cheers Geoff from Aus
My sincere condolences Geoff, I lost my Dad last year and it has been the most heartbreaking experience I have ever endured. My Dad and I were very close and he taught me how to be a man of honor and dignity. It does get less intense and shocking as time goes on and he reminds me often in my dreams that he is still around watching over me. The best to you and yours.

Thanks for the empathy, Chet. It is tough times, but look at those 2 great kids and imagine the grandkids. I've got 6 and it's just great! Cycle of life, I guess. Please ignore the following if it sounds fanciful! There's no Australorp Club in the States. You guys are online a lot and are always very helpful. Rather than an Australorp thread, why not start an online club? I don't know of any purely online breed club, but why not? It helps with the tyranny of distance, gives newbies somewhere to start, helps publicise the breed etc. From my contact, you folk could do a better job than our club, Only food for thought.Any lingering squabbles would need sorting though. Cheers Geoff

Back
Top Bottom