Australorps breed Thread

females are pickey about their nest spots.. i had to spread out the fake eggs to make it look like chickens were laying in the other boxes..also put up little 1/2 curtians..must be a privacy thing because mine would always go to the far end box, furthest from the door..they are just funny like that..

females are pickey about their nest spots.. i had to spread out the fake eggs to make it look like chickens were laying in the other boxes..also put up little 1/2 curtians..must be a privacy thing because mine would always go to the far end box, furthest from the door..they are just funny like that..

It does seem like a privacy issue. Some of my birds will ignore the nest boxes for a dark corner.

Walt

Heee, I want to see the 2-3 chickens in one nest thing. That's got to be funny. ~ KnobbyOaks

I see it all the time. :) It is funny, but it's a little frustrating when you see how crowded they are in there next to all those empty nest boxes.

Last edited:
Heee, I want to see the 2-3 chickens in one nest thing. That's got to be funny. ~ KnobbyOaks

I see it all the time. :) It is funny, but it's a little frustrating when you see how crowded they are in there next to all those empty nest boxes.
On Sunday I had a Hatchery RIR and a BA in the same nest but one jumped out before I could get my camera out.

Ron

On Sunday I had a Hatchery RIR and a BA in the same nest but one jumped out before I could get my camera out.

Ron

My EE is a real slow poke (avatar), 90 minutes is nothing for her, so sometimes Pearl, my BA, just has to climb in and share that not-very-roomy box! It happened just last week when I had out-of-town guests. They got a real kick out of it.

My EE is a real slow poke (avatar), 90 minutes is nothing for her, so sometimes Pearl, my BA, just has to climb in and share that not-very-roomy box! It happened just last week when I had out-of-town guests. They got a real kick out of it.
Reminds ya of the old days when there was only one bathroom in the house. There was always somebody dancing and hollering outside the door when you needed the extra time.

P.S. I'm getting tired of adding eggs to my grocery shopping list. Can you say, impatient much?

Reminds ya of the old days when there was only one bathroom in the house. There was always somebody dancing and hollering outside the door when you needed the extra time.

P.S. I'm getting tired of adding eggs to my grocery shopping list. Can you say, impatient much?
yuckyuck.gif

We have been at an all-time low in egg production the past 2 months...
but we just wait to eat eggs if we don't have any. Mu husband would blow a gasket if he had to buy eggs, while still having this many chickens on the payroll!

Quote:
My Girls are molting and taking a break right now. We went form three days of 100 to 101 last week to mid 70s today. Rain is forcasted for Monday and Tuesday. This morning I opened the coop door to let them out and was greeted with a pile of feathers.
ep.gif

I do have some pullets so I should be ok. Of course I have a Silver Gray Dorking that is trying to go broody on me...I did get 4 eggs today. I do have 17 layers though.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom